extra action in tiny jigs

JUNGLEJIM1

Nice little article, congratulations. I tip my jigs a lot with power wigglers I split down the middle but might try upsizing with plastic worms and give it a shot. Must be something when you are catching and everybody else isn't.

jiggerjohn

JJ1 and Rich - originally I got this idea from using a single corn kernal on 1/32 oz bare,small hooked jigs for carp (they loved the motion, too!). Loved the swaying swimming action,but it was inconsistent, dependent on corn shape/size. Same with nuggets, wigglers, small Gulp tippings -OK on very light untied jigheads,but not such dynamic swimmers sometimes. Later, a great, fanatic swimbait mold maker showed me the POWER of larger upright soft plastic CYLINDERS to create unbelievable wiggle in his unique tails. And when Hawnjigs started telling me about his tremendous take of huge trout ,stripers, and walleyes out in Nebraska on Gulp tails, I was finally able to put 2 and 2 together (I knew I was a career math teacher for a reason!). I cut small cylinders from Gulp "fat minnow" bodies (cross-sections) for my 1/28 oz Boolies and not only did the flat discs add more gliding,plus that wide "Flatfish like" wobble, but proved to be near impossible for panfish to steal !Caught so many bluegills, crappies, and bass that figured it could work with slightly larger jigs, and could propel thinner plastic bodies for larger fish. All I had to do was cut out larger "cans" to increase water resistance on these cylinders, with 1/2" high versions. Still a "work in progress", but catching fish everywhere by treating jigs as crankbaits!

Back