Experiment with hair hackle

davidriley

Just bought myself a copy of 'Hair-Hackle Tying Techniques & Fly Patterns' by Gordon Mackenzie published by Frank Amoto Publications. I like tying with hair especially soft hair as I think you get better 'movement'.

Here is my first effort. The tail is several strands of peacock herl, mixed with 4 strands of UV herring black Krystal Flash, which is all twisted into a rope and wound up the hook to form a body. I have then cut a bunch of grey squirrel hair dyed green and formed it into a hackle, using a dubbing twister. The one on the left of the photo (my first effort) I think is the better.

[NB - ignore the pink strand by the head of the jig on the right. That Marabou gets everywhere! :D ]

16709891474_33f49b9986.jpg

hookup

Good job David ... I get what you said about Maribou.

davidriley

Thanks for the comments. Just waiting for a new vice and Turbo dubbing twister to arrive then intend to really get stuck into tying some decent ties.

David

StumpHunter

Love trying new materials and methods. dubbin and hair twisted in a rod can make a great looking jig. What vise do you have coming.

davidriley

dbeam said:
Those look great! What kind of hair are you using, and how are putting it on.

Darrell

Hi Darrell

Thanks. I used grey squirrel tail dyed green and dubbed it on using a dubbing twister. It is a bit fiddly to do but I reckon once I get used to doing it it will work well. Have a look at these two links :-

http://www.intheriffle.com/fishing-videos/fly-tying-tips-tricks/dubbing-loop-collars/ (Best example)

http://thefeatherbender.com/2013/01/31/making-a-fur-hackle-and-dubbing-tutorial/

hopefully that will give you a good idea how it is done. ( see later post below)

David

davidriley

StumpHunter said:
Love trying new materials and methods. dubbin and hair twisted in a rod can make a great looking jig. What vise do you have coming.

It is only a cheap vice (about us$ 40) https://www.anglers-lodge.co.uk/product/rotating-regent-vice-g-clamp/

but comes well recommended. I am afraid that my pension won't stretch to a more expensive one but the one I have bought will be ideal for what I want. In any case I need every penny I can get to buy materials.

David

davidriley

Further to my earlier post today, I have dubbed some bucktail onto a 1/0 single hook using the dubbing loop and dubbing twister method to give you an idea how neat it puts hair on to a hook.

17365917316_9410e15d3b_z.jpg

Please bear in mind I am very much a novice at this method and using an old vice, which keeps on slipping when I apply any pressure! One thing I particularly like about this method is that the hair is held very firm. You can give it a real tug and it doesn't move and that is before any varnish, etc has been applied. Also, although it is not very obvious from the photo, the hair is distributed evenly around the hook too.

David

hookup

Nice job. I tied many jigs on a home made vice resembling vice gris, a hook holder of a hook sharpener, and a cheap chinese vise. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Back