Expat...

Hawnjigs

KISS
Probably won't at my age, but still seriously considering relocating.  First choice New Zealand has serious immigration restrictions and I'm now considering Uruguay for its dorado fishery and stable democratic government.  Anyone ?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Grass is always greener? I often want to jump 2 towns over just so i can get my kids away from the trouble makers and click groups at school. My 16 year old daughter is going through crap at school right now and there is very little recourse i can take. Sh!t is gonna hit the fan real soon though if nothing is done. But moving? I know better. There would be a new range of problems waiting wherever you go. I could jump 2 states over and same thing i am sure. I'd rather go North but my wife would prefer to go South. I think Nova Scotia sounds nice to me. Jamaica might be my wife's choice. haha.

Sadly, at this point in my life, i am determined to just put my head down and keep grinding. I am more than happy to help people out as long as they show some respect to me. I keep in touch with my close knit group of friends and family but keep my opinions to myself. If people ask me my political or social views, i don't give an honest answer anymore. I listen to the news to make sure the nukes aren't heading this way yet but the rest is all made up BS if you ask me. The world is a crazy place. Guess i am getting cynical in my old age.

Jig Man

For sure think about it, New Zealand would be my first choice too. But there area a couple more in case I have to bug out...

Bucho

South America looks good value on paper but remember as long as you have to earn a living there you will have to get along with a correspondingly low income which usually ends you up with a generally lower standard of life. And you will be outside your market. Chances are there is no market for what you think you can sell etc.

I once had similar thoughts but realized that no matter where I go I`ll take myself with me and things don`t necessarily get easier just because I live in an unfamiliar environment. A friend once asked me to join his sales team in Amsterdam. I asked him how many other expats he had working there.... no more questions. If you are a doctor and love to be in the contryside, Sweden might be your thing. But if you`re an expert on dealing with complicated German social and tax restrictions - maybe not.

Even at the risk of coming off rude: What will you bring to the table? Skills? Money? If you have to get along with a pension or fundings that are leveraged by a poor country´s foreingn exchange rate, maybe its a good idea. Just don´t asume everything else is the same and better pay the country a good long visit with plenty of time to talk to other expats before you make any plans.

hookup

I've moved all my life and at north of 60 will consider moving if the opportunity presents itself - the opportunity being grand children.

For work, I've traveled the globe and know that wherever I move to, it'll still been the lower 48

I luv 'murica

Jig Man

Me sure likes Texas... Some folks worry about where they come from, I haven't checked, but I got some old kinfolks that say I am 5th generation Texan, good enough for me.

duffy

AF, just teach your daughter to be independent and don't give a crap about what the "popular" kids are doing. Being able to do what you want without the so called permission of the others is the first step in success. I always did what I wanted to and didn't give 2 sh!ts about what everyone else thought. It didn't make me popular with the "in" crowd but I didn't care because most of them turned into a bunch of losers later in life. In fact some of them turned into my customers later on because they were too busy being popular that they didn't learn anything. As far as moving, my roots are pretty deep where I'm at and I've got too much crap that nobody else wants. :D

hookup

Its about the FISHING !

Nice fish, but camera angle, camera location, and extended arms make it appear much bigger than it really is

Bucho

If it was for the fishing then I`d live in BC. I reckon shore-casting for salmon is every bid as much fun. I once been to Costa Rica. My German expat travel guide was very much into fishing too but never went for it in fresh water. He said they have snakes that roll up to coin size and hide on leafs by the water. Practically impossible to spot but venemous enough to lose you a limb in the most painfull way imaginable.

So I`d rather live in BC.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Much as I would LOVE to eat salmon (+ halibut & rockfish) more often, (southern) BC weather is kinda chilly & wet, albeit not severe. Not sure but salmon have very limited seasonal availability. " Vancouver is among the least affordable cities in which to live in Canada, with the highest housing prices in the country."

As for golden dorado size "The average size of the golden dorado is about 3–10 kg (6.6–22.0 lb). The largest recorded size is 1.3 m (51 in) in length and 34 kg (75 lb) in weight". Big enuf for yah, hookup ?

"Situated in the temperate zone of the tropic of Capricorn, Uruguay boasts warm summers (from December to February) and crisp winters (from June to August). The weather remains quite uniform from one region to another and there are no extremes of temperatures. The average temperature for the mid-winter month of July varies from 54 °F to 48 °F while the midsummer month of January varies from 79 °F to 72 °F."

Bucho

Had a closer look at that country on Wiki and must say it looks quite pleasant indeed. Decent government, lots of water, relatively safe and a sufficient yet surprisingly affordable health care system.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, and Uruguay has an extensive sandy beach coastline tho the water remains chilly all year.  Bolivia actually has better golden dorado fishing but "60.1% of the population live in poverty and 37.7% in extreme poverty" so "Bolivia is a country where traveling after dark is particularly dangerous".

But the fishing,  OMG !!!

[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_HYCbb7bGM[/video]

Bucho

I live only 20km from the Schwentine river that holds +100lbs Wels catfish. It only takes a week to catch one if you know what you`re doing, i.o.w. bring a few years of experience and renomee in the wels angling community. Down south they have hucho, a fish very similar in size and apearance to that elusive dorado. It only takes a winter to catch one, given you are willing to afford a 4 digit license fee and dozens of snagged lures. If I combine that with a few million very poor people unafraid to use nets, snag lines, poison etc. and the reputation of the south american law enforcement community.... I once been to Bulgaria and again, my travel guide said she was into fishing but never went for it because her countrymen had devastated the stocks in fresh water.

What makes you thing you can just go out and catch one like you do going after stocked wipers? My guess is that it will take a very unaffordable, rather unpleasant trip into very remote areas with a guide and everything.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Altho I've NEVER "paid for it" would definitely consider spending for a once in a lifetime experience. 30-40# jumping GDs in a shallow stream narrow enuf to cast to the other side, or off a calm water sandy beach, yup, think I may go for it.

There's a big difference between crowd accessible spots and off the beaten path wilderness.

hookup

Speaking of paying for it, know a guy that lost a fortune in Uruguay in the brothels
Keeps you busy when you're not fish'n

Back