Erie Dearie Mod.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Never tried this before....

We use Erie Dearies (weight forward spinners) alot when drift fishing walleye on my Dad's boat. The ones i messed with are nock-offs and not the ED brand. We always trail a night crawler off the end hooked only once or twice to leave a big long tail to flop around. If the perch wanna drive you crazy, they will rob you time after time, and you have to reel in and check your bait after each bite. Thinking this might work as a bait substitute??? I also added a scent tube to one (close up in 2nd pic) to try that as well, can't hurt. Anyone try this before? Also, hoe do the zonkers hold up to toothy critters?

View attachment 3

View attachment 4

Attachments

• 101_1138_e.jpg
    101_1138_e.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 163
  • 101_1138_e1.jpg
    101_1138_e1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 163

jiggerjohn

Attica, Great idea on that bunny tie for the 'Dearies !Yours are very neat looking ties!! Some years back I had the idea to tie rabbit strips behind Dearie types for northern pike on a trip to the St Lawrence River. These worked exceedingly well along deep weed edges and the pike loved 'em!! Even these toothy predators couldn't rip apart the tough zonker strips, tho they did slime em up pretty good!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks jiggerjohn! Glad to hear they should hold up, i have been using them awhile now and lost some hair here and there but never ripped one... but fishing bass & crappie is a far cry from the toothy walleye. Hopefully i can report on how they work soon.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, these are el-cheap-o knock off's of the original Erie Dearie design... not even sure of the brand name these had but each has a different shaped forward weight and bought from various dealers. Have a dozen or so weight forward spinners and don't think i have a true 'Erie Dearie' in the bunch. :D

Back