Eastcoast steelheaders

smallieslayer

I was wondering what eastcoast steelheaders and trout fisherman threw as far as jigs go. Colors, head size, hook size, and if there is any restrictions as far as hooks go over there.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I am, for the most part, at the wrong end of L.Erie to be much help. There are a couple tributaries the DNR does stock them in but is a drive to get here. They are fall run fish so the run is on right now. The majority of people i have ever seen/heard using spinning gear for them are either using spawn or the Mini Foo type jigs packed with maggots or waxworms under a float. Just don't see people throwing hair/feather JIGS for them around here for some reason.

The fly-rodders are usually dead drifting stonefly, ESL or simple egg patterns. There are some using clousers but more seem to think they have better luck with the dead drift - many also use center pin rods. I do know a guy who seems to catch when others have a hard time and he is targeting the more active fish - swinging larger, dark colored, bead head w.buggers in the current: olive, brown & black.

Fatman

Back home on the Ontario tribs we used ball heads with heavy wire EC hooks 1 and 1/0. Used the bright colors but there were days when black and olive worked very well. Been a few years since I fished back home - I'd actually have to check the lead laws to make sure I'd be legal.

Back