Eagle Claw 570H

Airstreamfield

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has tried these hooks and what you think about them. I know eagle claw is a little on the bottom of the hook chain but they're also cheap which is appealing to me. I am wanting to use them for bass and salmon mainly. I am wondering how heavy of wire they are too and if they will hold up to a salmon or steelhead.

Any input would be great!
Thanks!

LedHed

Sponsor
The new EC Lil Nasty hook is moving up the ladder really fast. I really like them and changing over to them from Matzuo. They are inexpensive and hold up well. I can only talk about the ultra light hooks up to #6 and I am using mostly BN. Not sure how they would hold up to Salmon (never caught one).
I would look at the Mustad 32746BLN (ECs L570BPN equivalent) or the 32786BLN (if you can get away with using a 60* hook).

Airstreamfield

Thanks, I seen those hooks for the first time on this thread. I am definitely going to get some for some trout and panfish. Light wire hooks won't hold up to what I'm after though. :) From what I have read the 570H is heavier than the 570 but I don't know how heavy. I might just order some and test them out, if they're too light then I can use them for bass...maybe I have to be the first on this one! :p :jig:

Airstreamfield

I really like the Mustad 833 and Gami's but the main reason I was looking into the EC is because they're half the price. I think I will just order some and see how it goes. Gami's and owners are crazy spendy for heavy wire hooks compared to the EC. Literally the ECs are about 1/4 the price in some cases.

redear

the wire thickness is only part of the equation, the temper of the steel and the hardness have a lot to do with how much pull they can take too, the 570 series of hooks in the lighterwire is fairly soft, I would expect the heavies to also be soft but am just guessing here. A 25 pound king salmon is a pulling machine.

Airstreamfield

Hmmm... To try or not...Right now I am pouring on the EC 630 and they're pretty beefy, I tried 2/o last fall and that held up to a few 20lbers with out an issue, didn't even bend out on snags. Maybe I should just stick with those.

hookup

I have never used the EC's you mentioned, but have had heart breaks when hooks snap on huge small mouth bass.

If you got something that works, you need to ask yourself is the heartbreak worth the few pennies saved?

plateboater

I still see the sauger next to the boat that was going on the wall when the hook bent straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was five years ago and feels like one hour ago! 2nd hookup on heart breaks

Airstreamfield

You have a good point there hookup, I'm really not even looking to save money as they are only pennies difference from the 630, more so just expanding my hook selection and seeing what else is affordable and works. I think I will just stick with the 630s for now though until I can get a bit of extra cash to do some testing. Thanks for your input guys.

Hawnjigs

KISS
One of my issues with Eagle Claws after going thru 10s of 1,000s of heavy wires was the possibility of a softer than usual batch. But if you've got good ones, 630s can have excellent wire strength & point sharpness.

Back