Dying wool

lizardpuller

Wanting to dye a lil wool in a couple of colors. I know Red uses food coloring, but do you dilute the colors of the coloring with water to change shades? Any other tips I need to know of before I start making a mess????????????????Thanks...........

JUNGLEJIM1

I heard that unsweetened Koolaid works pretty good. I use perfection dyes but colors like lime koolaide has some fluorescence. You can add water to dilute the color for different shades. Wet materials will be a lighter shade once they dry. Go lighter to start, you can always add more to get it dark but once materials are dark you can't get it a lighter color. There should be a tutorial on here that I did a couple years ago on dyeing rooster saddles.

QPassage

Some yarns dye better than others. I have dyed a lot of different yarns. My best results have come from using Liquid Rit Dye and I have mixed the colors to obtain different colors.
What I do is mix the colors I want in about a quart of warm water I add a tablespoon of salt and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Put in a glass container and heat for 3 minutes in microwave. Add yarn and heat another minute. Then I let it sit to cool in the dye. After it cools enough to handle remove and wash yarn in warm water. Wring it out as best as you can and hang to dry and it is ready to use. I've tried the koolaide it does work but have found it difficult to obtain any deep colors from it, I found the biggest key to colors are 1 the salt and vinegar to set color and 2 heating it.

Back