dyeing feathers

sloedown

tried this just to see what would happen..White feathers dyed scarlett red with Ritz clothing dye..Not a great selection of colors to chose from but it proved interesting...

feathers001.jpg

toadfrog

You can mix ritz dyes for different colors. When you dye them add a cup of salt to the dye bath to set the color. Rinse them well. then put them in a pillow case with a base ball or something similar close with a zip tye . Put them in the dryer. The ball will beat them back to a nice fluffy state. Just my 2 cents worth and a little experience.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I personally like the color! Good deep red. You gonna tie a scarlet and gray jig??? Go Bucks. :D

Lost Pole

toadfrog said:
You can mix ritz dyes for different colors. When you dye them add a cup of salt to the dye bath to set the color. Rinse them well. then put them in a pillow case with a base ball or something similar close with a zip tye . Put them in the dryer. The ball will beat them back to a nice fluffy state. Just my 2 cents worth and a little experience.

This is great extra information. Doing some bucktail tomorrow. Do you add the salt bf or after the initial heating? Would've never thought of the tumble dry thang.......just not sure if I'll use a baseball. Machinery is fragile around here. THX much!

Adam

toadfrog

Lost Pole said:
toadfrog said:

This is great extra information. Doing some bucktail tomorrow. Do you add the salt bf or after the initial heating? Would've never thought of the tumble dry thang.......just not sure if I'll use a baseball. Machinery is fragile around here. THX much!

Adam
Hair dryer works fine with bucktail as long as you rinse it well and press out the excess water first . Need to maintain a water temp of about 140 deg. For almost an hour. add salt as soon as the temp is up. Now this is gonna stink a lot more than feathers. If the water gets to boiling the hair will fall out of the tail. You can do squirrel and other hair too.

steve r.

Back