Dyed in the wool

Jungleboy

I though I would give a try at dying some of the wool I have just to see how it looks. I was pretty happy with the result and can see that it will make different colors easier to get hold of without having to have a pile of bags of the stuff .I can buy some basic white and go from there.
This I did with a package of Strawberry kool aid drink mix ( not the pre sweetened stuff just the old school Kool aid mix) I cut off a hand full of wool and and rinsed it in warm water .then Pour a 4 cup measuring cup full of boiling water. Dissolve the Koolaid and submerged the wool.stirred it gently and just let it sit til it was room temp. The water cleared as the wool absorbed the color. I then rinsed the wool in warm water till the water ran clear . they say it is color fast so should not fade .Pretty simple and effective for dying small amounts. I tied up this 1/4oz woolly to show the color Now i am off the store to find some yellow koolaid:)
IMG_1205.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Jungleboy

LedHed said:
WTG on the dye - tye looks great too. Don't forget lime.....

Tried a couple more colors today . Lime green Kool aid and then yellow Food coloring.I added some yellow to the green as well in an attempt to brighten it up a bit. A quick easy way to add color to materials .It apparently wil work on any natural protein fibre so should work on deer hair and feathers as well I assume
IMG_1208.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_1209.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Pup

Very nice work. :cool: I like your ties and your dyed wool. The color that looks like a green chartreuse on my monitor would be a crappie killer at my local reservoir. :t-up:

Great title for this thread too. ;)

Jungleboy

Pup said:
Very nice work. :cool: I like your ties and your dyed wool. The color that looks like a green chartreuse on my monitor would be a crappie killer at my local reservoir. :t-up:

Great title for this thread too. ;)

Thanks guys . Unfortunately no such thing as a Crappie or Bass in this part of the country.:(

Jighead76

Nice. I've always been interested in dying my own stuff now I know what I'm doing thanks to you. Going to buy $5.00 worth of kool aid. That should be like 50 packs, lol. I got a ton of white saddle hackle. Will it work with that too?

Jungleboy

Jighead76 said:
Nice. I've always been interested in dying my own stuff now I know what I'm doing thanks to you. Going to buy $5.00 worth of kool aid. That should be like 50 packs, lol. I got a ton of white saddle hackle. Will it work with that too?

I cant say for sure . I have only done the wool.. Cheap to find out though:icon14:

Back