Dusted Off Fly Rod

papaperch

Haven't used me old buggy whip in a decade or so. Noticed quite a lot of surface activity on previous trip to a local pond. So I packed my little 4 weight a handfull of bluegill baits.

I forgot how much pure fun gills can be with the flea rod. It was pure murder and the strikes were downright vicious. Just a little yellow popper with a royal coachman as a dropper fly ties about four inches back . None of the gills exceeded 8 inches and even caught one that looked like he was an egg last year. But probably caught and released well over a 100. I released all of them as I have plenty of fish to eat.

Took the time to snap a pic of two of them one on the dropper and one on the popper. It was just non-stop fun. Was casting toward some trees that line the pond. It was a little breezy and the fish were making an easy living on the bugs being blown in or trying to hatch. I was surprised how quick my casting skill returned to me.  The gills just bent the h out of that little rod and for awhile I was 12 years old again.

UH3w50H.jpg

J7yGcN2.jpg

papaperch

My paternal grandpa had me fishing at 3 years old. With a short cane pole he hand made just for me. My maternal grandpa had me fly fishing at eight years old. My dad was just flat out crazy about fishing. When I reached 12 years of age the fly fishing Grandpa. Presented me with a fly rod . He had won several trout contests and the normal " trophy " was a fly rod.

I wished I still had it. For the life of me I don't remember what happened to it. My mother may have thrown it away while I was overseas. It had a canvas case with two extra tips and all rolled up and broke down to three piece fit in a steel tube. The steel case was beaten up and didn't look very good. So she may have mistaken it for just normal junk and never looked inside.

duffy

Sounds like an excellent Day! Those are some might fat gills, I can imagine them fighting pretty good.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Fun stuff. Glad you got to knock the cob-webs off. I actually got my fly rod out last night..... you kind of inspired me to give it a few throws. It was quite enjoyable and already thinking about pulling it out again for the weekend.

AllenOK

Nice report!

I absolutely love getting into a mess of 'gills on a popper or hopper with a fly rod. It really does take you back to when you're a kid.

Back