Dubbing

eyecrosser

Anyone use regular dubbing type materials for the bodies of their smaller jigs? For example, flash dubbing for Steelhead, awesome possum, etc...

Fatman

Anything you can do with chenille you can do with dubbing. When using it I do put it in a dubbing loop and wrap it tight. Holds up well.

eyecrosser

Thanks, I was checking out some of the colors for steelies and thought they would work nicely on crappie also.

Fatman

x2 Zac. Also if you cut your own zonker strips make sure to keep all the hair and underfur that comes loose it makes great dubbing.

creekychub

If you can't find/don't have a color of dubbing you need, it is pretty easy and dirt cheap to make your own dubbing. Toss some chopped up yarn pieces (less than 1"), some ice dub/polar flash, and some rabbit guard hairs or squirrel tail into a coffee grinder and you have a great dubbing for just pennies. You can make any color just by mixing a few colors of yarn. Just don't use that coffee grinder for coffee again unless you want a mustache...

Fatman

LOL - my wife almost did that!!! Don't know why she grabbed the grinder out of my room, that's why I keep it in there.

Just before she put the tea leaves in it i stopped her. If I use any yarn I use 1/4" pieces just for the color. Been mixing for years, finally had to use up or trade what I had, before thinking of any more!! It does add up!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I mix my own as well but just roughly chop it up with scissors. Strung fuzzy fiber and craft fur make good mixes with lots of vibrant colors available. The fuzzy fiber is a little stiffer that traditional dub, but i like it because it makes a really buggy look. Most any yarn does work good and some even have strands of metallic material as well.

Learn how to use a dubbing loop - they sell tools for it but you can make your own tool out of a coat hanger - it is a must know technique IMO.

StumpHunter

I had that link already marked Pop and I have gone back to look at it and to read things over many times. A very good place to get the understanding of dubbing and for the making of your own dubbing.

Back