Dubbing Brush Tool

StumpHunter

Spent some time looking at the dubbing brush tool on the market and thought I could build myself one just as good. So spent a little time in the shop and built one. I still have the finish work to do on it and need to add a little paint but I am happy with the outcome. There will be no end to the materials that can be used to make the dubbing brushes.

View attachment 1

Run the wire for the bottom of the brush and place the materials on the work board.

View attachment 2

Come back across the materials with the wire and start twisting the wire by rolling the wheel. Once the wire has twisted a few times swing the work board out of the way and finish twisting the wire to make the brush.

View attachment 3

The finished dubbing brush

View attachment 4

And a jig tied using the dubbing brush for the body.

View attachment 5

Attachments

• Dubbing Brush Tool 011.JPG
    Dubbing Brush Tool 011.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Dubbing Brush Tool 006.JPG
    Dubbing Brush Tool 006.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Dubbing Brush Tool 008.JPG
    Dubbing Brush Tool 008.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Dubbing Brush Tool 009.JPG
    Dubbing Brush Tool 009.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Dubbing Brush Tool 016.JPG
    Dubbing Brush Tool 016.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 105

StumpHunter

I'm not sure of the reason but the pics are not loading in the right places. All of the pics are at the bottom so I hope y'all can get on this works. Sorry for the pics not coming out right :beat-up:

Fatman

Have used a few brush's I got in swap box's, I've used them on flies but never on jigs. Are you finding much difference between them and a dubbing loop?? I know when the fish are really hitting they tear them up just as fast as a dubbing loop.

LedHed

Sponsor
I'm sure Russ can work his magic for this tutorial. Great post & thnx SH - really peaked the interest for a new project.

Fireshadow

What kind of nut is that on the other end of the coster. Great stuff by the way. Now I have a new tool to make.

StumpHunter

Fireshadow said:
What kind of nut is that on the other end of the coster. Great stuff by the way. Now I have a new tool to make.

I took the caster and drilled out the center pin holding the wheel in place and found a stock round rod that fit into the wheel tightly. On the caster frame I drilled the holes one size bigger than the rod so the rod would roll freely. Took a S hook and cut it in half and welded it to the rod. Run the rod through the caster frame through the wheel and out the other side of the frame. When you roll the wheel it turns freely in the frame. The trick was to get the work table the right height so the wire lays on the table flat. Once you run the top wire back over you start turning the wheel and as it starts to twist you can begin to move the work table out of the way. Once the wire is twisted there is no way the materials can move so you have a great brush to work with :icon14:

Thanks for the comments guys :)

StumpHunter

Fatman said:
Have used a few brush's I got in swap box's, I've used them on flies but never on jigs. Are you finding much difference between them and a dubbing loop?? I know when the fish are really hitting they tear them up just as fast as a dubbing loop.

Doug, with the wire twisted around the dubbing material the fish would really have to hit the jig many times to remove the dubbing. If I have one that works well enough to catch enough fish to remove the dubbing it would make my day!:icon14:

Bucho

I´m a 100% with Stump on this one. Total freedom of choice of material combinations, rubber legs, long hair for huge pike or saltwater patterns, thick copper wire for ultimate durability, and the economy of pre-produced tying material. One dubbing blending session, one messy brush drilling, and your good to go for dozends of ties.
I rather use a small drilling maschine, though, for mo` power! I´ve also seen people waxing the wire, laqour or plasti-dip might work well too depending on the size/coarseness of material.

What I am struggling with at the moment is finding a clip to hold the wire ends under the process of material application. With the speed at which the drilling shortens the wire, I would like to hold both ends in my fingers to avoid premature wire breakage.

Fireshadow

What about a ring attached to a medium strength spring. That way you have some give. Would have to have a few different strengths based on what size wire your working with.

LedHed

Sponsor
SH
I took liberties with your tutorial post and hope it meets your approval. Thnx again for your posting.

Back