Double jig rig

CrappieHappy

does anyone double jig rig on a consistant basis. I have tried this a few time, with some success. should the 2nd jig be 12 - 15" above the bottom jig? also what weight jigs do you use, 1.8 on bottom, 1/16 on top, or should you go 1/16 bottom/ 1/32 on top..... just trying to see what others are doing to increase my catching... :jig:

Radtexan

We fish lots of open water out here and use double jig rigs majority of the time. If vertical jigging less than 15 ' of water 2 -1/16 th work fine.If deeper than 15' 1/8 on top and 1/16 th on bottom.If we are longlining I will use 2-1/8 th.

SaltyBuckster

Here's mine for flounder. top and bottom are 1/2 oz. For crappie and lake fishing I use the same rig with a palomar knot on top with a 1/16 oz. with an 1/8 oz. about a foot down with a loop knot.

Radtexan

I tend to do better on crappie with a loop on top jig and palamar on bottom...Dont want a big loop,no more than 1 " IMO.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I double up all the time. I use different combinations of sizes but usually use 1/8 top and bottom. And you definitely dont want a big loop on the top jig or that sucker will drive you nuts by wrapping around the line.

CrappieHappy

Ron Don said:
I double up all the time. I use different combinations of sizes but usually use 1/8 top and bottom. And you definitely dont want a big loop on the top jig or that sucker will drive you nuts by wrapping around the line.

LOL, that's the problem i was having... It was driving me bonkers... I'll try it again...

thanks for the info....

jjsjigs

Banned
Gentlemen... why limit yourself to double jigs? If one jig will get you near the approved depth you need... tie on a realistic fly such as a nymph or a marabou streamer. Tie an extra piece of tippet to your jig hook bend and put on a fly that is impressionistic to the waters you fish. Most flytyers can make a very realistic "bug" with much more aquatic detail then fishing another jig. Plus, if you want to tie the flies... you really don't need to invest in all the expensive flytying hooks and whatnot. I tend to use a LOT of wal-mart/k-mart plain shank bait hook/aberdeen hooks which are very inexpensive compared to flyfishing hooks. Jus' throwing out my .02.

CrappieHappy

jjsjigs said:
Gentlemen... why limit yourself to double jigs? If one jig will get you near the approved depth you need... tie on a realistic fly such as a nymph or a marabou streamer. Tie an extra piece of tippet to your jig hook bend and put on a fly that is impressionistic to the waters you fish. Most flytyers can make a very realistic "bug" with much more aquatic detail then fishing another jig. Plus, if you want to tie the flies... you really don't need to invest in all the expensive flytying hooks and whatnot. I tend to use a LOT of wal-mart/k-mart plain shank bait hook/aberdeen hooks which are very inexpensive compared to flyfishing hooks. Jus' throwing out my .02.

Good info JJ, I'll have to look those up. :)

Jigging15

I keep my jigs a little closer together. About 10" and use a palamar knot for both. Keeping them closer and tight to the main line helps with hang up when dipping standing timber. I use the same setup when spidder rigging also.

blt

I sell a lot of 1/4oz. and 3/8 oz. tandems. Some like them 10" apart, some 14". I also do pop-eye bucktail jigs in tandem also. Some also call these a "spec" rig. Depending on wind/tide conditions, I will rig up a 3/8 bottom and 1/4 on top, or 1/2 on bottom and lighter wt. on top.

If you want a plain teaser hook, just tie one up on your hooks you use for your jigs. No need to buy special hooks if you don't want to, a lot of people do this.

I use a simple Perfection loop for the jigs. The jig has to pass through the loop. Never have had any issues with this loop, and is so easy to do.

Salty, don't overlook using your Ultra minnows with a teaser on top if you have never done that.

Jigging15

When spider rigging I use a 1/8 on top and a 1/4 on bottom. On my minnow rigs I use a 3/8 oz weight on bottom of the rig. That way I can use minnow rigs on 4 poles and double job rids on 4 poles to see what they want. Then I can switch to which is preferred. I pre tie these and wrap on pipe insulation to speed up when I break off instead of having to retie when I have $ other rods to watch while trying to do it. Here is a pic of my pretied rigs. I did not have a pic of hand ties prerigged but here are some for tubes.
photo-120.jpg
photo-117.jpg

Back