Double Jig Alternative

ARjigger

I tied up some jigs to use when fishing a double jig set up. The set up works good tight lining and works really well under a cork. As you'd expect the set up, cork or otherwise is best when fish are using open water and usually ends up with lost hardware when fished around structure. I typically usea 3/16 jig on bottom and then the jig without lead on top.

A bare #2 aberdeen hook is tied much the same as a lead head jig. Attach to line with a loop knot. Try it...I think you will agree that in certain conditions (most for me) the action of jig is improved without lead on the top jig.

Attachments

• Double jig alternative.jpg
    Double jig alternative.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 124

Shoemoo

Very nice ties there. I've tied similar stuff in the past.

One thing to be aware of though... You have to keep them moving all the time. Otherwise the weight pulls down on the loop of line and makes them hang vertically or at an angle. They're good for trolling and casting and retrieving, but I wouldn't use them when the float has to sit stationary for awhile.

Charlie2

Shoemoo said:
Very nice ties there. I've tied similar stuff in the past.

One thing to be aware of though... You have to keep them moving all the time. Otherwise the weight pulls down on the loop of line and makes them hang vertically or at an angle. They're good for trolling and casting and retrieving, but I wouldn't use them when the float has to sit stationary for awhile.

I use either a bucktail teaser or small(er) floating jig for the top lure.

The deer hair has enough buoyancy to 'float'.

I use a floating jig for this reason but mainly because it rides 'hook down' which makes it easier for a fish to bite. JMHO C2

Back