Doll Fly Hooks?

Fatman

Not sure what the original hook used was never seen anything yet on that. My mold is just a regular ballhead, I wish I had a mold for the original head style.

I already have gold hooks, Mustad 32755. The short shank ones are nice (I bought a bunch from Toad), but they have a tendency when you pour a lot of them to mess up the eye socket and then you have to trim lead flashing when you go back to regular hooks.

100_7068.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
The original Doll Fly jig you posted had a beak point gold hook, as did other DF pics I've seen. The 32755 has a straight point. The eBay link hooks are beak point 37402 Mustads, but Eagle Claw also made beak point jig hooks long before I started casting jig heads.

Been a long time since I saw a Do-it Doll Fly jig mold offered on eBay, but they are out there. With your stash of PB hair, you could make near exact replicas if you could get the mold and proper vintage hooks. Bet there's still some codgers left who'd like to get their hands on some Fat Dolls.

Fatman

My favorite is the wedge head style but like you said try and find the mold. The other head I've seen on them is a skinny oval head or a plain ball head.

Problem with making them for anyone else would be all the paperwork that would have to go with it!!! I had to do enough just to get it.

Fatman

Hookup - lot's to spend just for me I'll use ball heads being they're just for me.

Kdog - yeah few I hadn't seen, one actually looked like a redman head.

hookup

FM - I called a couple custom cnc guys to get a mold made. After the quote, ended up finding a do-it that was close & attacking it with the dremel & jb weld. Not perfect, but a couple swipes of a file makes it so. If I was in the biz, I'd pay but since it's only a hobby, decided mold modification was part of the hobby.

Dog, nice stuff. Saw a few really unique pieces

Hawnjigs

KISS
And some just because its old overpriced (deleted). $5 for a rusty hook butterbean jig with paint chipped off? Maybe I scrolled thru too quickly, but didn't see the Dolls. But saw a lot with original(?) Upperman's! The vendor appears to be a jig / lure historian.

I like the 37402s - sickle style point, shorter eye leg, and heavier wire than Matzuo.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yup, mailed back today. The seller includes return shipping in the refund, if I get it. Shoots, I was gonna fish them as a tribute to Mr. Thompson, and was curious if they were as good as their reputation.

Back