Doll fly float-n-flies

smalljaw

I tied these up now that the weather is cold, most of my float-n-fly jigs are tied on a minnow head but the walleye head works great too so that is what I decided to make these on. Both are 1/16oz walleye heads with a size #4 sickle hook, the top one is painted white and has some pearl flash along with white craft fur and natural mallard flank to make the jig. The bottom one is painted a custom "perch" color with some black tapped on top, it has black pearl flash, brown with black craft fur, and wood duck colored mallard flank to make the jig. I actually use this style shallow on the river, during days when the sun is up and it gets a few degrees warmer is the perfect time to use them. The holes I fish in the river this time of year are like 6' to 8' deep, when you get warming trends the fish will actually move up and suspend so I set the float for 3' to 4' and cast upriver and let it get washed down into the hole, you'd be surprised at how hard a smallmouth in 40 degree water will hit these jigs.

DSCN03902_zps8daa2ee9.jpg

Pup

Nice ties SJ. :cool: Reminds me, its time for to get ready for winter. That includes preparing my gear for stream fishing. Going to be some busy evenings this weekend.

Back