Do you tip your jigs?

fisherb

Since I have started tying my own jigs several months ago I have always tipped them with waxies, mealworms, or crappie nibbles. My wife asked me why I bother with the jigs if I'm always using a worm anyways. I have to admit it made me think :-/

So I told myself next time out I will use the jig all by itself. I don't get to fish as much as I wish I could with 3 kids 6 and under, but I did get to sneak away with my dad yesterday to a stocked trout lake in Cottonwood. It was a slow day for everyone we talked to. There were plenty of trout that could be seen swimming around, just not many takers. In 3 hours I ended up landing 2 rainbows, with another one lost at my feet, all on a 1/48 mean minner head painted black, with black chenille and black flashabou for a tail. My dad, also using jigs I tied, tipped them with mealworms, crappie nibbles, salmon eggs...you name it...and ended up with none. Barely even a hit. Now I always thought using a worm or something on the end of a jig would do better, but maybe I've been wrong?

One of yesterday's rainbows with jig:
photoww.jpg

Fatman

Hate to admit it but they'res going to be days when Dad would have caught more with the tipped jig than you without. It's up to the fish what they want.

baitmaster

I always tip my jigs. Usually with crickets, but mealworms and crawlers are used too.

redman

Most of the time I don't but like others have said there are days. If I do tip it is with Berkley Crappie nibbets ( Gold or Red) or a chunk of Gulp. Most of the time I will Spray my jigs with WD-40. Found that it is one of the best fish Attractors out on the market. Quick spray about ever 7 to 10 minutes.

Redman

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Do what it takes...... :trollin:

As said, there are days when it works and days when it does not. I have stood beside a guy in the river before and caught fish after fish on a zonker jig while a guy beside me caught none using minnows hanging under a bobber. Other times can't buy a bite unless it is tipped.

Even if you are tipping - i believe the extra color and flash from a tied jig usually help to attract bites. Usually.

JUNGLEJIM1

I don't tip jigs for trout and some artificial only places I fish. Other times I'll start without and if the bite is slow I'll add a pwer nibble or wiggler which I cut in half to provide more action.

fisherb

AtticaFish said:
Even if you are tipping - i believe the extra color and flash from a tied jig usually help to attract bites. Usually.

This is kind of what I was wondering last night while thinking about this. Maybe the color/flash of the jig gets the fish interested, and the wiggle/feel of the worm gets them to bite. I've noticed with trout in clear water when I don't tip the jig they may take one hit at it then go away. But when I have tipped with mealworms or wax worms often after a quick hit they will come back again.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Yes, I too have noticed trout will avoid a lure after a hit & miss. The only time I might consider tipping a jig aka bait fishing is if I was desperate for food and/or confined to a very small area. Hasn't happened yet.

Shoemoo

I will usually put a Crappie Nibble on when fishing for crappie or bluegills. If the action is super fast, I'll try a cast or two without the Nibble.

With trout I don't bother since they seem more visually oriented when it comes to jigs.

ragged edge

There are days when all you need is a jig of choice and the fish do not hesitate striking the jig. There are days when it is nothing but presentation either a light twitch of the pole or slow move to the right or left. The next day the fish just either look at the jig or just swim on by. I have used nibbles when this occurs and have been successful. In a nut shell it all depends on the feeding habit on that given day.

smalljaw

I know what I do is different but it is still similar and when I chase bass with jigs I usually have some type of soft platic trailer on the jig. When it comes to my hair jigs, I use a small 3" soft plastic trout worm threaded on the hook so maybe an inch or inch and a half is sticking out from the bucktail, the exceptions are jigs I make with rabbit zonkers, and marabou jigs. I mainly fish hair jigs in cold water but this year I got into trying it in warm water a little bit after finding this site and the results have been great but no matter what I fish for I will not use live bait, but that is due to the fact that most of my fishing if for bass which I don't keep.

hookup

Ditto w/ smalljaw

Bass tend to inhale jigs tipped w/ anything living (or dead) and for a c-n-r angler, that's not a good thing.

Closest thing is an Uncle Josh Pork pig during the dead of the winter.

Fatman

Watched a bunch of the old Billy Westmoreland fishing diary shows and he used to have some leather strips that he would use in cold water, I believe he stated they were made by Uncle Josh but they aren't listed on the site.

Pork Rind is nice but it can be messy and if you want the salted variety you really have to be careful

Back