Do mold inserts?

Airstreamfield

I was wondering if anyone has made their own do it mold inserts like for casting spoons or flutter jigs? I am trying to get a flutter jig mold right now...I would like to try and make my own inserts instead of buying them. I am thinking about doing some measuring once I get the mold and then putting two nails the distance I need and wrapping the wire into the shape of the original inserts...any ideas or advice?

Thanks

Kdog

Unless you have a nice wire bender or custom make one, you are better off buy the preformed ones from Mustang. I;m speaking from experience and bending your own is time consuming and w/o good tooling, getting them precise enough to function properly is iffy.

Airstreamfield

Well dang. I guess I will just buy them. I was thinking they were going to be more but on the do it website they're only like 4$ for 25. I can't find the same ones on the mustang website.

Thanks anyway guys! I may down the road try and build a little tool for this just for fun.

Airstreamfield

The flutter jig mold I am trying to get is the fish/minnow looking one, not the diamond type. From the website the inserts look different but I am wondering if that one will work...that would be a lot nicer.

QPassage

I just ordered and sent a flutter mold to one of the guys that pour my jigs. He also is pouring the shad body spoon for me you might have seen in the painting section.
Because each one as in size takes a different size wire I just ordered mine from zieners.
http://www.zeiners.com/doit/ccforms.html
They sell them in 100 packs and some in 25 packs. Due to using coil wire it isn't worth the time or lack there of quality for me to bend my own and straighten the wire. I bend a lot of wire and I can tell you up to .030 bending is easy but you get up in the .041- .051 the wire is much harder to get a uniformed bend unless you have a machine to bend the heavy wire with these 1 1 1/2 oz you need the heavy wire.
I have bent a few wires for my Erie molds and it works but you better have a tight bend if you want it to fit in the mold for the pour. Hence again why I buy all of my wires.
FM thanks for the link those are awesome prices on mass quantities of wire. I'll probably be stocking up soon.
Bo

Back