Do it VS hilts?

Airstreamfield

Just wondering how people like Hilts molds compared to do it...I was looking on their site and it seems like their molds are pretty cheap, I am wondering what the catch is. :huh: How do you guys like them? Pros/cons?

hookup

I have one Hilts and about 14 Do It molds.

The ratio should tell you something, but I'd buy more Hilts if they offered what I fish with.

But what I really want is about 1/2 dozen of Shawn Collin's molds

JSC

I like most of the Hilts molds I have .. had them before the Do Its.
I think I have only one hilts that I have had a lot of trouble with.

:)

plateboater

Have Do-it, Hilts.....no problem. 2nd collins but have been dumping money into Jacob's lately. For $50 quality is top notch.

hookup

Those Jacob's look nice ... that's for the suggestion

plateboater

Very clean.....but the ability to use different hook size without a mod......makes Jacobs real good right now

Airstreamfield

I have to mod my molds to use heavy hooks anyway so modding them isn't a huge issue with me. I am just wondering if they pour nice and clean mainly...think I am going to order one and test it out.

Those Shawn Collins molds are crazy...I think I seen some on Ebay for like 200$!

Kdog

I really like the hilts molds for small jigs. I now have 7 of them. Unfortunately they are limited to stock on hand and much of that stock is IMO overpriced. Jacobs has great molds for a somewhat decent price and Barlows or Zeiners have all the do-it molds at very good prices.

Hilts has a good price on the trout molds but not a lot of inventory and I think only has 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 and 3/8 left. The gate design could be better, hard to get a clean break w/o trimming but I only have 2 molds out of 3 dozen that break clean enough to use as is without touching up or cutting.

Airstreamfield

Thanks guys, got hilts coming so I guess I am gonna find out. The price is right, seems you can get them pretty cheap on Ebay too.

LedHed

Sponsor
With the Hilt's mold you will need to use very soft lead.

Do-it and Hilt's are both good molds. Hilt's have a cleaner cavity but the sprue holes are too big. Do-it's quality is suffering (IMO) in their new molds. Seems, to me, like the older molds were made with better precision - there are exceptions too. For what they charge for a new mold you shouldn't have to dress out a cavity (i.e. the minnowhead with eyes). The semi-pro and custom are good but if you are going to spend that kind of money - might as well get a Jacob's or even better - a Collin's...... If you are truly fortunate - might stumble across a custom Ament or a Howell (Robert at Crazy Angler).

Airstreamfield

Thanks everyone for the info. I got them today...not quite sure what I think of them...for the price they're nice, I am still pretty new to pouring lead too, I think I might write up a small review. I prefer my do its to the hilts I just got but the do its were twice the price.

LedHed

Sponsor
You will be surprised on how fast you recoup the cost of the molds in jigs. Problem is - you take that money - and buy more hooks, molds, paint, etc.......

hookup

I pour jigs as a hobby & don't sell them. But do barter them & give them as gifts to those with 'real' boats who take me out.

I've been put on some nice honey holes because of this hobby.

Airstreamfield

Yea I am not really trying to market myself as a business but I do sell some of my work on occasion...I recently had someone request 100 heads which will help get me back some. I hate selling them though because I want to use them myself. :D

JUNGLEJIM1

What Hilts molds did you buy? I have several myself and the 1/32 trout jig mold actually weighs 1/24 oz. Paid $10 new for it and you can't beat that price for a 1/24 mold. I have two of these now and would like to get eyes pinned on one of them if I can get it done at a reasonable price.

Back