DIY rod thread wrapper

StumpHunter

I'm no rod builder and don't plan to become one but I have been buying some old rods and a few bamboo rods. I plan to clean them, refinish if needed and replace the thread wrapping on all of them. I have six grand kids so I plan to fix all of them a fly rod with a sock and tube.
So, I decided to build a rod wrapper to use on all these sections of rods. Looked at a few pics and decided I had enough wood and parts in the shop to build something that would work.
Wasn't sure about how I was going to hold the thread with tension but found a couple of springs, bolts, washers and worked it out. Wanted my thread to feed from the top so I took an 1/8'' brass rod and bent it so I could feed the thread to the rod and it would hold the thread out of my way at the same time. I think this thread wrapper will do the job fine. Started on the first rod section last night. Got the first eye wrapped, still got to add the finish over the thread but I do like how my first wrap turned out. Just another hobby added to the list!!!

Attachments

• Rod wrapping and rebuilds 010.jpg
    Rod wrapping and rebuilds 010.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Rod wrapping and rebuilds 011.jpg
    Rod wrapping and rebuilds 011.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Rod wrapping and rebuilds 014.jpg
    Rod wrapping and rebuilds 014.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Rod wrapping and rebuilds 016.jpg
    Rod wrapping and rebuilds 016.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 127
  • SANY1496.JPG
    SANY1496.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 126

hunter7711

Nice job! Back in the 70's I used to make a lot of rods. I'd spend hours on the fancy weaved section of the butt. I had a book that had the paterns for all kinds of fancy wraps. I remember one that was a snakeskin wrap that was fantastic. Too many hobbies, can't keep them all.

LRB

That looks good !!...You can also wrap guides using a cardboard box..a book and a cup...
Most of the equipment I have is hand made or improvised...you don't need expensive equipment to build a good rod...

SH..when you are wrapping your thread, you might want to "pack"
your thread a little tighter...use your fingernail to "pack" your thread , as you are wrapping it..Also you need to grind down the tip of the guide,with a file, to avoid the "step" you have on your wraps....makes for a easier,smoother guide wrap..

Good Job..!!:)

ML~~

Fatman

Looks good, I looked at some of the old Thompson rod wrapping tools but I'm a coward when it comes to redoing a rod or making a new one LOL

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! I have re-done a few guides and tips but have always wanted to make my own complete rod from scratch. Thanks for posting, some fine hillbilly engineering right there -- and i say that as one HB engineer to another. :cool:

StumpHunter

Thanks for the tips LRB, they will be put to use.

Fatman I think I was looking at the same tools. I looked on Jannsnetcraft and you can still buy a tool that is close to the Thompson for under $14.

Got to love use hillbillies!!!!! We have built the world LOL.

Nightprowler

I don't want to hi-jack your post Ronnie, but this looks like a great place for this question. I purchased a 9' fly rod that has wire line guides. I love the light weight and the feel of the rod. The problem is that the line will not feed off the reel when using small jigs (1/32 and lighter). It seems the wet line attaches itself to the rod blank in between the guides. Would replacing the guides solve this problem and not change the feel of the rod? What guides would you suggest replacing them with if any? Thanks for any help.
NightProwler

toadfrog

That is a whole lot better wrapper than I built . Might look at an old BBQ rotor as a turner . If you put epoxy over the wraps its just about the right speed to keep it smooth.

StumpHunter

Toadfrog- I have a rod turner on it's way. I have already spent more on this than wanted to. It's like all the other hobbies, easy to spend on more than needed..

Prowler, I would think it is in the lines too. If you are having trouble with a 1/32 the line is wrong or someone replaced and eye with one to small.

LRB

A investment in rod turner is worth the money...I have made saltwater rods in the past and stood there turning the rod for three hours....never again...!!:dodgy:

You can also make a rod turner from a rotisserie motor...:icon14:

ML~~

Nightprowler

I'm not using it as a fly rod, just a Shimano spinning reel and 6# Wally line...lol. But "I love the feel".
NP

JSC

"I'm not using it as a fly rod, just a Shimano spinning reel and 6# Wally line...lol. But "I love the feel".
NP "

OK !!! thats the problem.

Snake Guides are for Fly Line .. About all you can use mono is for what I would call "Flipping" ... We made poles with snake guides when I was a kid and used nylon (Later Mono) and called them "Flip Poles" (This was long before the current use of the name in Bass Fishin).
As far as making a "Cast" with a Spinning reel ... Good Luck.

With the Fly Rod get you a good Fly Line (Don't know the action of UR rod to tell U the line size to use) and a single action fly reel .. for casting & Fishin the jig you will not need all the bells & whistles of the higer priced reels.
2 cents worth.

SaltyBuckster

I used a 8' flyrod for years as a kid with a Mitchell 308 spinning reel with 6lb. test on it.Chucked Mepps in the Juniata river and caught almost every kind of fish with it.I still use that reel,lol.

Back