different degree angle on jig hooks??

goodtimesfishing

I was given a jig by a fishing partner that wants me to duplicate the jig for king salmon next season. The one he gave me is a 60 degree bend at the eye. I usually always use the standard 90 degreee. Both jigs I refer too are plain round head jigs no collar. My question is, again the jig in question is a round head jig, what reason would you need the 60 degree angel vs. the 90??? I have the mold to make it a 90 and would be willing to get the other mold for the 60 but what if anything will I gain(besides another mold)? Is there a situation that calls for 60 degree and outfishes the 90??And if so explain, I want to understand. I know that my buddy does not even relize that it is a 60 and not a 90 and he will not have a reason for it, but who ever set him up with it might have a good reason. Hope this makes sense and sorry so long winded.

Fatman

The only thing I can think of is they feel more comfortable using that angle thinking it fish's more of a swimming action than a hopping action. Or they might think it's more snag resistant than a 90. If you're pouring them just to help these guys out I'd be thinking about the money it cost's for the mold and hooks.

Might be easiest to discuss it with him.

redear

well I may be wrong but I think a 60 degree jighook will have a bigger bite to it than the same size hook in a 90 degree bend, what I am saying is on a jighook the line tie eyelet is in the way alot of times and keeps the fish from getting hooked up on the hooks point, the 60 degree hooks line tie would be lower thus allowing easier hookup access of the hooks point. the other potential problem with a fish as powerful as a king salmon on a 90 degree jighook is the 90 degree bend straightening out a little on a fish thus loosening up the jighead, other than those two things I see no reason a good extra strong jighook won't work, espesially a longer shanked o'shaunessy bend jighook, like the ec 630 series, mustad also makes one just like it, I like the eagle claw because the point seems longer and more wicked. lol the wire is stout on these hooks though and ya need to be sure they will fit your mold.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I use 60° hooks fairly often in both rivers and lakes. Biggest reason being because of the way i fish jigs....... using a cast/retrieve far more often than ever fishing vertically below me from a boat or suspended under a float. 90° hooks can keep the hook horizontal when fishing vertically - as long as you keep your knot on top of the hook eye. They also fall head first/hook up where the 60° hooks will fall a little more horizontal if you keep a slightly tight line on the fall. If the water is deep, doubt it makes any significant effect because of the steep angle you would be compared to the jig. I love them in rivers because my jig is pretty much always moving either with a steady retrieve or 'swing' with the current.

I would say the eye placement on a jig does not effect how easily it becomes snagged - that has more to do with the actual head shape. To get the correct effect out of a 60° hook, the eye needs to be located forward of the center balance of the jig head.

hookup

I just started pouring 60d jigs. They're more for swimming, but work well with the SLIDER lift-n-drop technique.

Hawnjigs

KISS
IMO, the main advantage a 60* jig hook offers is in conjunction with a tapered head narrowing from back to front at a forward hook eye. This feature appears to be used primarily in bass jigs for sliding thru grass & minimizing weed buildup on the head. In a ball head, especially for float drop drift jigs, I'm not sure a forward 60* eye has any significant advantage over a 90*.

Back