did a little pouring

redear

since I was having problems with my lead plugging up my lee pot, I bought a palmer hot pot 2 and used the brownells powdered flux on the lead, also used a small ladle to keep skimming the slag off. used one of the home made molds and poured with the ladle, it was a little slow but the end product was superior, I could stir the lead and skim it alot easier with that palmer pot as it had no stem getting in my way, by the way I really like the powdered flux, it looks like soap powder but there are alot of little lumps in there and they are hard to break up. It didn't flame up or stink the place up and did a supurb job of helping me clean my lead. the heads I poured were really shiney.

Fatman

Glad you got some pouring done!!!!!!!!!! If you get all the lead cleaned up with the hot pot you can throw it in the bottom pour and be all set. You pouring pinkies again???

redear

thanks guys, I am thinking this powdered flux is packaged under several brand names, mine is brownells and was bought in a gun store over by the bullet pouring section, and have seen online other brands that appear to be the same container with a different label, have seen frankford arsenal too, who makes the spray release also. seriously tho the candle wax was stinking up the shop and my clothes too. I like the fact that I didn't get a flare up or flame from this either.

redear

I don't know if I got the lead clean enough for the bottom pour yet Doug, but it's nice to know that I can continue to pour without the bottom pour, It would be hard to do this ladle pouring with a do-it mold though, as it is easy to miss the sprue hole with the ladle enough to foul up another hole, I was using the home made molds, with single or double cavity.

redear

what I have poured is some of those 1/24 flattened redman heads, the two cavity mold, we had some good success with that head tied with kiptail black and yellow with red thread and a pink crappie nibble. that newer mold is great but haven't been pouring anything that big lately. tied up a few 1/32 gray kiptails this evening with a size 8 sickle, gonna throw a pink nibble on those, for bream etc. last couple days I tried to get my buddy to go fishing he was sick, stomach bug, we are shooting for wed. now.

redear

I poured some 1/32 and 1/16 barbed roundheads today for use with plastics for those buddies that are liking the sickles, used the hot pot and a ladle along with the powdered flux, poured like a champ, supposed to fishing tomorrow, we will see.

Back