Dark Purple Marabou

smalljaw

Here is a different one I thought I'd post, the person that wanted these, a friend of a friend, was specific on color and he would not tell me what he was using them for or where he was going to use them so I made some for my self to experiment with!! The jigs he got were the same here but the bodies were all done in black pearl chenille, I used that as well as others on my jigs. Anyway, these are all 1/16oz ball jigs painted black with a size #2 hook, pretty popular in this style it seems. The tails are 2 purple blood quill marabou feathers along with a piece of gold holographic tinsel running down each side, the top jig has a body of winter run blue chenille, the middle has black pearl chenille, and the bottom jig has bream chenille. I wanted to keep the jig dark but with a bit of flash so that is why I tried the winter run blue and the bream, the bream is close to the black pearl except is has gold flash in it and very sparse blue flash which the black pearl has more of.

DSCN04172_zps7a029845.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those would catch plenty of smallmouth in my river during summer...... as long as they stay out of the rocks. On that style, you might like Cactus Chenille in purple or that same style cactus chenille (either BPS or Cabelas, can't remember) in the peacock color.

eyecrosser

All three are great. If I had to guess he is onto some walleyes or smallies somewhere. Purple outshines most other colors here in late fall/winter when we are fishing river eyes below the dams.

papaperch

Have to agree with eyecrosser on this one. Dark purple a favorite of many local walleye chasers. I caught a 7 lber out of Mosquito Lake a few years back. When I opened its mouth to unhook him I noticed a 3 1/2 Grub tail on a 1/4 0z jig that tail was as purple as can be. Must have been in there awhile because the hook was about rusted away. Obviously he created someone's big one that got away story. But that made me a believer in the purple also.

Back