Daddy's girl

Helianthus

Oh boy do we have our "words" but he always knows how to cheer his girl up. If he hadn't threatened me, I'd post a pic of the 30' shrimp boat he's building from scratch. He's def an impressive man to me.

Been planning this for a while although I failed to consult him before buying the aluminum, he surely helped me get it started. Slightly more stubborn than him, I'm no stranger to failure-so why not try. After all, there had to be molds before CNC machines and CAD programs. Entertainment for now and a good evening with my dad. Precision fitted and waiting to be carved.

Attachments

• DSC00317.JPG
    DSC00317.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC00315.JPG
    DSC00315.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00319.JPG
    DSC00319.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 162

toadfrog

Sweet keep it coming . I got my eye on this , but then that is all I have outside of this plastic do-dad on the other side of my head .

redear

Daddy's girl, I am impressed!! way to go. are you gonna cut the mold or are ya gonna press a slug or blank head? you seem to have been already doing your homework. great job so far!

Helianthus

toadfrog said:
Sweet keep it coming . I got my eye on this , but then that is all I have outside of this plastic do-dad on the other side of my head .

Appreciate the look and hope that you and your family weren't affected by the latest tornado

redear said:
Daddy's girl, I am impressed!! way to go. are you gonna cut the mold or are ya gonna press a slug or blank head? you seem to have been already doing your homework. great job so far!

not sure yet. A while ago I had read and article about using a press but for life of me can't find the article again. I don't know what type of metal would press into the Aluminum. Also, if pressed will it cause the hole that the dowels are in to shift? I do have access to a large press so it is an option.

I move slow and have very little free time so not sure when it'll be completed just know one day it will. Thanks for looking, any input is always welcomed and appreciated.

redear

daddy's girl, you are definitely on the right track. the alignment pins won't be affected by the pressing as long as the cavity is not being pressed right beside them. as far as what kind of steel to use for making a blank jighead, I have used various sizes of drill bits and also some very hard alloy steel 1/4" pins, I use the butt end of an old drill bit and put the spiral part into the lathe chuck, as it is turning, I use a dremel tool fitted with an aproximately 1" diameter cutting wheel that fits onto a quik release mandrel. put my safety glasses on for sure! and while the drill bit is turning I hold the small cutting wheel against the drill bit, and letting it cut and carve a little at a time while stopping to check my progress, I also used various grits of quality black, wet type sandpaper and smooth the head blank as it turns, after I get it pretty far along ya gotta cut thru the drill rod, completely, and take your tiny little jighead blank and insert it into the lathe chuck with the unfinished part sticking out so you can work on that part and shape it and smooth it. drill bit steel is hard, but I still squashed a head blank made of it, by using too hard of alum. for my blocks, I was using 6061 t6 which, would have been ok for a cnc machine but not for pressing.

redear

shaping jighead blanks took a little while for me to find the right combination of tools to make it easy, but once I found that little 1" cutting wheel that fit my dremel tool, that was all she wrote then! I can rough cut one in 10 min. if I want to, but I take my time and enjoy the process, but stopping to compare the size of the blank taking shape with known weight jigheads, so I can get an idea of how much the new jighead will weigh. and yes I have made probably 4 or 5 that I never pressed, cause they didn't seem quite right as to what I was after. when you cut and shape with the dremel it helps to brace your hand or wrist against something so when you touch the wheel to the blank it doesn't move around, I use the tool post on my lathe, and move it to just the right spot to allow me to use it for such. we probably need to get a mod to move this thread to the mold making section, just thinkin out loud.

redear

daddy's girl has been workin on the mold and we have been getting the learning phase going good, I think she has real potential. the aluminum she has is the hard stuff so it's making for a tougher go round than it would normally.

Helianthus

Think I have a blank ready to press. Not 100% sure and may try to make another one before trying to press it. Not to much free time to work at it so it may be a min before I finish it up. I really enjoy the whole process and its good stress relief. If only I learn to work at it more and talk less :s
Thanks for looking and I'll try and post some pics of the process.

Back