Curing Powder Paint

ScottV

I'm still pretty new at this, but learning as I go. I was having trouble with having too much PP on my heads so that when I cured them, they looked like they had a swollen nose. I might help another "Newbee" by telling the steps I take now that seem to work pretty well. I heat my heads for 3 seconds on each side, while holding them with a hemostat, then dip the eye of the hook in a little bottle of water I have filled to the top. That cools the eye enough that the paint won't stick too bad. After I swish the head through the PP, I hang it by the eye with a piece of wire and place an egg sinker on the hook to keep it upright. Now if the paint wants to run, it runs down the hook where you can clip it off. No more swollen noses! LOL
IMG_5629.jpg
IMG_5630.jpg
I've been curing in the oven at 350 for 20 min..

baitmaster

I have started doing the same thing that Jiggin Joe does. Holding the eye of the hook with the hemostats helped out in the clean alot when doing a single color. With multi colors, I have hfound the hemostat to be in the way.

hhawkins

:jig:I guess I need some reassuance..... When putting your jigs in the oven to cure. the lead doesn't melt in the oven? And do I need to use something else then the oven to cure? You know how I like to cook. Maybe I'm just being wierd :dodgy:

toadfrog

Get you a piece of all thread 1/4 20 , 2 wing nuts, a bunch of washers. fill the all thread with washers leave some space after you put the wing nuts on each end. put on a handle using hard wood dowel . Then hang them in a pop up toaster set to dark brown. Hit the lever when it pops dip your jigs. The size of the jigs and powder container determine how many you can dip at one time. Just a weird little time saver I use before I do the final cure.

ScottV

hhawkins said:
:jig:I guess I need some reassuance..... When putting your jigs in the oven to cure. the lead doesn't melt in the oven? And do I need to use something else then the oven to cure? You know how I like to cook. Maybe I'm just being wierd :dodgy:

No Heather the lead won't melt and it won't harm your oven or harm you. I preheat to 350, then put them in for 20 min. and they are well done. LOL The way I hang them is a little different now. I got a piece of 5/16 threaded rod and 1 lb of 1/2 in flat washers, 2 end plates, 2 nuts and 1 wing nut. I hang the jigs on the rod about 5 washers apart and tighten the wing nut till they're all snug. Then I flip it over and cure them in the oven with the heads up so if there's a little extra paint, it won't drip or leave a conehead on the jig.
IMG_5637.jpg
IMG_5638.jpg

toadfrog

Scott's curing method and my dipping method should get the production jumping a little. If you ever get a chance to get a powder spray gun I think you'll love it.

Uncle Grump

hhawkins said:

Heather

I wouldn't cure jigs in the kitchen oven - instead, go to your local thrift shop - ie Salvation Army, and see what they have for toaster ovens - you can usually find them real cheap - I found two - paid $1 for the first, $2 for the second.

They usually have racks you can modify fairly easily to hang jigs. I've got a pic of a rack I made - I will see if I can find it, put it up here.

UG

LedHed

Sponsor
HH
I'm with UG on this.
You do not want to bring lead (even if it's coated) into your kitchen let alone put it in your oven that you prepare food in.
Powder paint will off gas VOC (volatile organic compound) while it is curing – not a lot - but it will accumulate in your oven. It is re-released when you crank up the temp.
Toaster ovens are cheap and used ones are even cheaper. Make sure you get a good temperature monitoring device.

This is my small jig set up - I use a TC reader to monitor my temp.
The all thread screws keep the jigs from moving around.

View attachment 3

When you are done curing you can remove the screw from the pan and dump jigs where ever you want.

View attachment 4

Attachments

• Oven set up.jpg
    Oven set up.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Shad swap 005.jpg
    Shad swap 005.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 87

hhawkins

LedHed said:
HH
I'm with UG on this.
You do not want to bring lead (even if it's coated) into your kitchen let alone put it in your oven that you prepare food in.
Powder paint will off gas VOC (volatile organic compound) while it is curing – not a lot - but it will accumulate in your oven. It is re-released when you crank up the temp.
Toaster ovens are cheap and used ones are even cheaper. Make sure you get a good temperature monitoring device.

This is my small jig set up - I use a TC reader to monitor my temp.
The all thread screws keep the jigs from moving around.

When you are done curing you can remove the screw from the pan and dump jigs where ever you want.

Alright :cool: I'll find a cheap toaster oven somwhere, have a lot of flea markets around here, and I'll combine ya'alls info together and make a setup. Thanks guys! :D

Uncle Grump

View attachment 9

Heather

Here is the pic of the jig rack I did for one of my toaster ovens.....

It consists of some L brackets and some all-thread (1/8"), screws, nuts, etc from my local hardware emporium. The wire on the right side is an additional place to hang jigs.

Hope this helps.

UG

Attachments

• IM001878sm.JPG
    IM001878sm.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 62

hhawkins

Uncle Grump said:
Heather

Here is the pic of the jig rack I did for one of my toaster ovens.....

It consists of some L brackets and some all-thread (1/8"), screws, nuts, etc from my local hardware emporium. The wire on the right side is an additional place to hang jigs.

Hope this helps.

UG

Between you, Scott and Ledhead, I have some great ideas. Thank you! This helps me out a lot! Heather

jjsjigs

Banned
ScottV said:
hhawkins said:

No Heather the lead won't melt and it won't harm your oven or harm you. I preheat to 350, then put them in for 20 min. and they are well done. LOL The way I hang them is a little different now. I got a piece of 5/16 threaded rod and 1 lb of 1/2 in flat washers, 2 end plates, 2 nuts and 1 wing nut. I hang the jigs on the rod about 5 washers apart and tighten the wing nut till they're all snug. Then I flip it over and cure them in the oven with the heads up so if there's a little extra paint, it won't drip or leave a conehead on the jig.
IMG_5637.jpg
IMG_5638.jpg

NOW THAT IS JUST GENIUS!!

hhawkins

jjsjigs, I very protective of my cookin' oven, not to brag, but I'm a pretty good cook. I would hate for my good meals to taste funny :}

Back