Curing Powder Paint

steelslinger86

Ok guys, I know a lot of people swear by it, and I understand the purpose of it, but I just don't feel that it is necessary for me. I started out by powder painting, then adding eyes with acrylic, and clear coating with sally henson's. More recently, I purchased some powder paint, called baitfish, from crazy angler, it is a clear with lots of flash in it. So, I have been powder painting, and then using the baitfish as a top coat. I don't have any problems with jigs chipping, or lasting. I have fished a lot of my jigs, for quite a while, and have experienced no problems. Does anyone else skip the curing process, or am I one of the few? Also, do you guys feel painted eyes on a jig, are necessary? I use to do eyes on all of my jigs, and am now not doing any with eyes. I have noticed no difference in catch numbers personally. I feel it is more of a matter of using the correct color pattern. Let me know what you think.

toadfrog

Most of what we all do is for the sake of art and the fact that you must catch the fisherman first. My personal jigs don't get eyes or do I go through the curing process unless it effects the outcome of the colors to smooth and blend them . However if a lure is going to be fished in aggressive conditions Rocks ,concrete structures, fish with teeth ect. So its sort of a personal choice.

jjsjigs

Banned
I like to put on stick on eyes and then put some Loon UV knot sense over the stick on eye and blast it with the UV lamp. Here is a pic of a popper I just finished with the stick-on eye and UV knot sense:

20080101_03.jpg

LedHed

Sponsor
I do the full cure - mostly because of the mixing of different paints. There are some painters that don’t do a full cure but they do clear coat.

I like eyes on fish pattern jigs and don’t use eyes on terrestrial patterns. My attracting patterns could be tyed either way.

Lost Pole

For those that are curing what temp/time r u using? I WAS doing 350/20. Had a dozen orange and a dozen chartreuse in curing. Checked on em 12 mins into the process and every chartreuse head was running but the orNge were fine and remained so throughout the 20 mins. Should I be used the recommended time charts?

Thx
Adam

jjsjigs

Banned
Wow. I even bumped up the heat on my stove to 450 for 20min with no running. Also, on a side note.. I've found the longer I cook them (I have cooked them for up to 120 minutes before) the better they cure. What kind of paint are you using (brand?). Component Systems (Pro-Tec) seems to be of the "less runny" type of powder paints, IMHO.

JSC

The running of powder paint is generly from getting too much paint on the jig..
Curein .. in my opinion .. makes sure that ALL get cured the same ... without this final cure in, my case, I will have some that needed a little more heat.
I also have good luck with flat stick on eyes by sticking them on before curing and 90 + % of the time they stay there.

JSC

slipbobber

Myself instead of curing I just hold the painted head above the heat gun for a few extra seconds after its been dipped...The colors are bright no running, smears or anything. I hant had a complaint or problem yet!!!

hhawkins

I like powder painting better then finger nail polish, it is a lot faster. I do cure my heads in the toaster oven, 350 degrees for 20 minutes and have no problems. We have a lot of rock everywhere we fish, so I feel better with the paint cured on my heads. I will do with eyes or with out eyes, it depends on the jighead. I like it both ways.

Back