curing jigs

Pop

How are people curing jigs, i.e. do you hang them head down, or use a set up which holds the jigs upright? Pop

Pop

Thanks for the reply Jig Man. Sometimes I'm not too bright. Upside down could mean hanging or standing with head up and hook down. I'm guessing "hanging"? Pop

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I rotate mine throughout the process so the paint does not run or slide at all, but if given a single direction to keep them, would want them head up/hook down.

Fatman

I cure mine heads down as that's how they go in my curing trays. I don't sell so if I get a nipple on some now and then no big deal.
100_4272.jpg
[/img]

Jig Man

Sorry pop, hangin buy the hook upside down. I do have a rack to cure them with the lead pointing up, and have done it both ways. But I usually just have a single coat of paint, maybe a brush tap of another, and I haven't seen a problem with the paint moving during the cure. I think most of the trouble with the paint moving around is with mutiple coats. I'm not an expert at it... It just what has happened with me!!!

Shoemoo

I use a toaster oven for curing, and I just hang the jigs on the rack by the hooks. I find once you have a feel for how long to heat the head, you don't have many problems with drips.

Pop

Thanks for all the replies. If I figure out how to post pictures, I'll show you the 2 ways I cure my jigs. Pop

Pepop

Head down. Lazy Angler made these 3 racks for me and they fit perfectly in the tray of my toaster oven.
IMAG0613_zps9c5fd7ae.jpg

All full, I can cure 48 jigs at one time. As you can see, they also make a good staging rack for tied jigs or heads coated with SH or whatever I want them for.

smalljaw

I hang the upside down too but when I'm making jigs for someone else and it has 3 colors plus a glitter coat then, and only then do I cure them upright. The reason is because a lot of time when you do multicolored jigs the paint builds up and when you cure them the excess paint sags down and leaves a nipple.

Back