Creek fishing

blt

Anyone ever used Google maps to find local spots? I used Google maps in the Satelite mode to locate the deeper waters in local creeks the past 10 days, and have had good luck finding bass. Fun part is, they are hitting the jigs I made for Crappies lol. No bait, no lures, no plastics on them.

Fatman

Never tried that part of google before. Jigs catch fish, even the Air Force puts jigs in survival packs!! When I was Active Duty thought my buddy was kidding me when he said it, then he showed me.

StumpHunter

I find the smaller lakes I fish and make a copy of the lakes. If the water is clear you can find the points and deep spots. Can save some time.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I do use the Google maps pretty often to find fishing holes. You can definitely see depth changes, rifles, and pools on rivers and creeks. Can help you find access points also. Have even found a few private ponds that are out of sight and knocked on doors to get permission. Most say NO, but have gotten a few that allow me to fish.

Amazes me to see how much detail is in these satellite photos of pretty much everywhere! You ever search up your own house?

Radtexan

Big fan of G maps,,especially out here in the boonies....Found lots of things we never have seen. just wish they had more recent updates.

blt

Yea, if an older photo, things do change in the "straighter" areas, but I would think even after a big storm, where creeks bend and such, things would get back to close to normal. Maybe not lol. Anyway, it has been helping me.

ragged edge

I agree with blt about updating maps. With the lake levels low around here the underwater terrain changes. Common sense will tell you how far to stay from shore but will not let you know about the underwater mountain you are about to run into.

Back