Crank Baits

Hawnjigs

KISS
After being a jig purist for a few years decided to try some trout size "bib" minnows inspired by Bombora's big trout experience and what I witnessed in WY aka other guys catches.

There appeared to be a confusing # of choices in just the Rapala line alone - Ultra Light Minnows, X-Raps, Original Floating, Countdown, Husky Jerk, etc. Was ready to order from best priced Jax Cat, but since they ignored my question about Woodstock braid moved on. Found these:
http://www.dynamiclures.com/products/hd-trout/

Holy moly, all 13 reviews on Cabela's 5 star !
http://www.cabelas.com/crankbaits-dynamic-lures-hd-trout-1.shtml

So ordered 5 on best priced mfg. website, and was pleasantly surprised shipping was free all the way to HI!

Do other jiggers find it advantageous to use other types of lures like cranks at times?

Fatman

Hawn - I carry everything with me when I go. jigs, spinners, cranks, plastics and bait. When you have people around you catching on spinners or small cranks and all you have is jigs and bait!! yeah it's worth it to carry some with you.

That dynamiclures bait looks good!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the link!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
My gear consists of tied feather/fur jigs, spinners, cranks and bait rigs...... in about that order of most to least. If tied jigs are not catching, then it is usually a toss-up between the spins and cranks of what i tie on next. A lot of the time (in still water) i may have a bait rig out while i am tossing artificial on another rod - have a two rod limit here in Ohio. There are days when it is more productive to use live bait.... especially when the kids are along or i have a curfew and want to bring home a few fish for dinner.

For cranks, my favorites are the Husky-jerk and Shad-rap both from Rapala. The ones in your link look very similar to X-raps or Husky-jerks. Used to use the floating Rapalas often in the summer but have not replaced lost ones for a few years now and may not have any left. I have switched my taste to fishing more of the suspending style Rapalas for now.

jiggerjohn

I'm convinced that trout,bass, and everything else occaisionally are lured in by something that "pushes water" more than a jig does.Lots to be said for those "action lips" for making fish convincing vibrations. I can still see those magnificent trophy browns & rainbows of Ray Johnson, on the Rapala or small flatfish from Flaming Gourge reservoir. Fishing contest results (magazines) from over the years always showed these two particular cranks being predominant. I always preferred the small flatfish, tho really like the looks of this new "bibster" that you mention above!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Glad I'm not out by my lonely as a jig traitor. Hope I don't get desperate enuf to consider (gasp!) bait rigs.

My late Pop-in-Law's trout gear had some ancient Flatfish, but they feel too light for effective casting or handling in moving water.

Not pleased with receiving an invoice today for an additional $5 for shipping to HI. Since several reviews mention Dynamics as being superior to certain Rapalas went ahead and paid.

StumpHunter

I keep some crank baits in my tackle bag all the time. Those are nice looking baits. I hate the cost of shipping, $5 must be the price for living in paradise :)

Hawnjigs

KISS
So, what kind of cranks do you favor - brand, model, size, colors, etc. ?

Paradise is usually somewhere else than where we live - s'why I vacation on the mainland.

Hawnjigs

KISS
The Dynamic cranks will never get salty. They would get bit locally, but 5-10# braid would never hold rock & reef digging species here. My minimum gear even for panfish jigging here is 20# braid with 15# Hybrid leader. Guys that throw big Yozuri Crystal Minnows here swap for 3x Mustad Duratin trebles. Will swap the trebles on my Dynamics for doubles, most likely with the hooks below.
http://www.barlowstackle.com/Gamakatsu-303-P1940.aspx

bombora

You've been mind reading Keith! Was gonna post up a question asking who's a jig 100 per center.
I've been pretty fanatical about jigs last several years, but recently been switching sometimes to other lure types (but only when it's obvious the jigs aren't doing it).
Do any of you guys use blades? They are pretty hot here in Oz at the moment for lots of medium, light and ultralight luring. Thing is you can fish em pretty much similar to a jig _ lift and drop. They even take hits just sitting on the bottom. And even tiny blades an inch long cast a mile.
Having a fish on the harbour day after tomorrow and will take a few and use em if the jigs are quiet.

StumpHunter

Hawnjigs said:

Paradise is usually somewhere else than where we live - s'why I vacation on the mainland.

I like the Bandits in 100, 200 and 300 but I don't care to much for their colors beside pearl and black. I do like the chrome with a blue or black back. The cranks that Mr Crappie sold at BPS had some great colors in the black with red flakes, a white with a purple back and white with a green line down the side and the all pink cranks.
All these colors I use on crappie.

Pup

Hawnjigs said:

Old School in a variety of colors unless specified:

Rogers Big Jim 3/8-oz in bone/black back/orange belly.
Bill Norman Quarterback 1/4-oz. in silver w/ black back is an extremely dependable bass getter.
Cotton Cordell Big-O 3/8-oz.

blt

Thanks for the link! I like the looks of them. When not using jigs, I love my Rooster tail type spinners. Mepps, panther martins and others. Caught a lot of fish on them. I also have this cheap 1" white crankbait that I got from Wally Marts....can't even remember the name of who made it, but if I lose that crankbait, I'll jump in the water after it. Caught a lot of fish with it.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Intersting that you warm water guys prefer stubby pot belly cranks?

Got my Dynamic HDs, and I think the 2-1/4" size looks perfect for trout. Pic comparison is with a Rapala 2-1/2" Countdown that was low water salvage.

Attachments

• Dynamic.JPG
    Dynamic.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 42

Fatman

Man that thing looks great!!!!!!!!! Have you had a chance to fish them yet???

blt - I think I may have one of those white cranks at home, although mine is about 2 1/4". I believe they were made by Renegade Tackle.

Back