Crane swivels and paint

hhawkins

Ok, does anybody have good advice or a trick to keep paint from getting on a crane swivel? Any time I do pony heads, it is a pain to break the barrels loose with out breaking the little devils off from the jig head. :mad: Gets pretty aggravating!

Kdog

I dip mine in water after heating the head, paint dont stick when the swivel is cool
really quick process just takes some practice.

Uncle Grump

+1 to Jigman - I use the tin foil that is used to wrap Dove chocolates - the foil from Hershey kisses also works - these are light weight and flexible - a single "sheet" of foil will do several jigs.

UG

Lost Pole

Kdog said:
I dip mine in water after heating the head, paint dont stick when the swivel is cool
really quick process just takes some practice.

Did this last go round. Works about the best of anything I've tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QPassage

I'll have to try the water trick. I been using shrink tubing. Works great shrinks when you heat to paint, then quickly pull it off while it is still warm.

Kdog

I like the water trick although before I did the water, I used an ice cube but it was a bit messy. Then I filled a jar lid with water and viola.... simple solution

Muskygary

I've always used the alumiun foil, but been talking to my friends about using a wire loop instead of a crane swivel. Take a small finish nail and make a wire loop around it. Make about three twist and lay the wire ears flat (to fit inside the poneyhead) Now powder paint and clean the loop just like you do the hookeye. Next use a quality sampo swevil with split rings on both ends. Attach one split ring to the wire loop and the other one to the blade. Quality swivels cost a lot more than the crane swivels but will spin better. It doesn't matter if the wire loop gets paint in it as it is easy to clean out. Going to try it on some bigger sizes horseheads (1/4, 3/8) and see if I like it.

moswampy

Have had no issue with water in the paint. I wait until it stops hissing, shake and dip. Sometimes I dip the eye in the water just to speed up the process later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back