Cranberry Raisin Bread

redman

In a medium size mixing bowl put in 2 and 1/2 cups of flour, in a coffee cup add 1/2 cup of luke warm water 1&1/2 tablespoons of yeast and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and set a side to let proof ( rise ). Add 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup of brown sugar ,1 teaspoon of salt , 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to the flour and mix , When yeast mixture has risen to top of cup mix in to flour mixture. Take a coffee cup and fill it half full of raisins and half with dried cranberries add water and microwave for 1 minute. add to flour and yeast mixture. Mix until it is sticky and a enough flour to make it stiff about 1/4 cup or a little more. let sit for 15 minutes or so. Then knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface. put in a bowl and let sit for a hour or so until the bread rises about 3/4 of it size. On a cookie sheet or pizza stone spray with cooking spray put on bread and let rest of 10 minutes while you heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 45 minutes until it brown crusted. let cool and then watch the family go nuts. Better than store bought.

This bread is dark and sweet. I make it in a round loaf rather in a bread pan which you can do. I think that the cranberries are what make this bread really great. I got this from a friend that adds pistachio nuts but like it better without the nuts. It is a little heavy but easy to make and make a good sliced ham and cheese sandwich.

Redman

redman

Jig man I tried it with mustard and I didn't like the taste at all it was not to my liking. Guess I better try it with mayo and see what it taste like. Even thought that it might taste good with strawberry jelly. You are right nothing better than a ham Samich.

Redman

Helianthus

Realizing theres a thread for food just made me HAPPY! Always baking bread myself so will try this one soon!Never heard of the yeast in the cup thing. Thanks for sharing!

redman

The yeast in a cup is something that my Grandmother did. It is just another way to proof the yeast and by adding sugar it speeds up the proofing. Works well for me and I found that brown sugar gives the bread a better richer flavor. It is a personal preference type thing. I am working on a natural yeast for bread as it is better for the body and easier to digest.

I got in to making bread after one day reading all the ingredients on a bread wrapper. My gosh there 25 to my 6 or 7. Some of the ingredients I can't even pronounce .

Redman

Helianthus

Did a little modification. Only used the dried cranberries and after the bread doubled I kneaded out into big flat rectangle, spread a cinnamon sugar mixture and rolled into a log. Cut in about 1 inch pieces and cut some smaller to put in small muffin pan. Let rise after for an hour. then cooked. I don't need the whole loaf so I like to share and prefer to divide into buns that loaf. Came out very good. Many thanks for great recipe!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 9
Back