Couple of Thompson Vises

crappiecripplerjigs

As a collector/hoarder of various fishing items/crap, I recently stumbled upon a couple of older Thompson vises. I really like the mottled one on the right as the appearance strikes me as cool. The one on the left is a bit plain, and I don't think either box is marked correctly, but I tied a few tonight with the left one and fell in love! The tension adjustment is pretty slick and the jaws hold tight. Just a little turn of the handle tightens and loosens the jaws. I am uncertain if it is a Thompson at all, since it is plain black without the nice coloring of the other one. But a few of the parts are the same. Maybe Led or someone else knows what it is, or what model. Really impressed with the simple mechanics of both these vises.

Attachments

• jigs 007 (500x194).jpg
    jigs 007 (500x194).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 55
  • jigs 008 (500x375).jpg
    jigs 008 (500x375).jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 55
  • jigs 009 (500x375).jpg
    jigs 009 (500x375).jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 55

Fatman

I'd almost bet the one on the left is NOT a Thompson - on all the ones I've seen its a round red knob. Had to use the auction site for a pic as I'm at work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THOMPSON-SB...594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab5916ce2

The one on the right I believe is a Thompson Pro model.

Great finds!!!!!!!

Usually at the bottom of the screen you see other topics that go along the lines of what the thread is about and LedHead posted this about a Thompson Fly tying catalouge - except for the tip of the jaws the one you posted in the right of the picture could in fact be a Thompson.

Hey Led - do you have that Thompson catalouge in a .pdf format??? I'd really like a copy if possible, more to add to my history file!!!

LedHed

Sponsor
Fm - haven't scanned the catalogs in pdf yet. I was thinking the same thing about the jaws on the left vise - the clamp doesn't look right. Haven't looked at a new Thompson catalog.

Fatman

Wonder if someone bought a new set of jaws and just inter-changed them but not sure with the real flat face that shows in the catalouge

Back