Couple more...

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Had spinnerbaits (and walleye) on my mind and tied these 2 thinking of adding a safety pin on style spinner like in the pic. I swapped out the spinner on this one for a gold deep cup Colorado spinner. Never really used this style for walleye but plan on tossing these in my box to give them a try. My last couple trips out have been skunks so will be a little more willing to change thing up.

(Sorry about the pic, not my best by far!)

d968421360be5647ed79481dac2730b6.jpg

Kdog

Nices, the black and blue would work here. Keep on plugging away. My couple walleye trips this fall have been fair 3 or 4 but long days, they still got lockhaw. Hip replacement is scheduled for 11/19 so Im gonna miss prime fishing. Drawdown has started but about 3 weeks from winter pool. Weather is supposedly gonna turn now and I dont think I can go out on the lake anymore unless I find a heated boat. The lake need to drop about 2 more feet which at current outflow is 12 days away. Not allowed to take any pain meds til after surgery. Couch and warm,

Out of curiosity I tried saugeye Sunday morning and was not disappointed. Limited on keepers in about 2 hours the biggesst was around 5# better though all were over 3#. The 6 fish limit was 22+ pounds. I left the house at 4am, hit the creek by 435, back home at 720, lots of pain while cleaning, glad the fish were bigger, took a shower and crashed. Woke to the smell of Fresh fish frying just in time for some football, beer and a fish fry. Ive hit that same spot about 6 times this fall never caught more than 2 or 3 15 to 18 inches. All were caught on Spinner baits. All white with red collar 1/8oz #3 hammered blade. tried some plastic and never got a hit.

Enjoy the fall bite when it starts.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Looks like a Fall walleye-saugeye pattern may be emerging here. All my good jig bites were in the early AM darkness which died at first light Unfortunately, got too dang cold here - last session Sunday AM was in the teens which required cleaning iced up guides every few casts. And, apparently the sunshine meatheads cleaned out the resource so only got two shorts in 3 hrs.

Since this is my first Fall bite success due to lack of right time right place knowledge, not sure if the metal flash is critical, tho local experts seem to like shiny blade baits and Colorado blade bottom spins in their repertoire. Their plastics are way bigger than mine at 5". While the fish were present, #2 prop Boolie style 3" plastics scored as good as it gets for me, even with that minimal blade flash.

Not sure if I could recognize a sauger or saugeye, except I noticed cupla weeks back a skinny "walleye" didn't have a white spot on its kinda stripey tail and the body was blotchy colored. If they tend to run skinny a 5# might be as long as a 10# fat wally. How do they compare to walleye on the table?

Hey AF, I guess creative artistry doesn't count with your wallys? I've been soundly outfished (daytime) by local "doll fly" experts with their plain white hair or bou ties with zero color or flash accents. Let us know if badabing works.

hookup

Throw both

My experience is they either want the spinner or they don't. Not sure why?

Kdog

I know right now, blade baits are still working but jigging raps are coming on strong. Historically, when the start drawdown, first 2-3 weeks blades are king, once winter pool is close jigging raps all the way.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Finally found a couple last night. Switched up to a different upground reservoir and seemed to figure them out for a minute. Fished for more than an hour without a bite and in desperation tied on a deep diving shad rap. Got a fish on the first cast. Lost the lure to the rocks on the 2nd cast. The fish were out on a deeper flat than what I usually fish. Started fishing a 3.8 Kietech swimbait scraping the deep rocks and got some good bites. Lost 2 fish on the way in and had plenty of bumps. I threw the spinner to no avail. Couple good eaters for the freezer. 15", 16" and 17".

941bc95e5ae3c43e69918e30d12e5a5d.jpg

cd277c16dc97916c5729f03ce434de76.jpg

fb678a460010455e85602ba99f987eab.jpg

Kdog

Good eats.... lot of my friends do well with the vision 110+1 jerkbaits. I make my own and with my process suspend around 6 feet quick jerk adds about 3 feet more easily get them down to 20 feet, most hits come during the rise or right at first jerk. they dont pussyfooot around either rip the rod outta your hand. the jerk bait bite though is about done. Dropping water level has the fish moving towards deep water. Meaans jigging rap time.

jiggerjohn

I have to think with mention of night bite walleyes, that a jig tipped with a new soft plastic tail that I discovered on a recent trip( Only night bait that worked!) could help. These are a 4" twist tailed ,long minnow style plastic that GLOW and have very strong garlic scent, in addition to great action. Primarily (so far) a saltwater lure around the Gulf area of Texas, this one looks to be perfect for walleye and bass. ( https://www.facebook.com/AMFishing956/).

Hawnjigs

KISS
Does the UV "glow" light up in the dark ?

Walleyes appear to have superb night vision. Altho they will bite all the colors PB softies I've tried, my biggest have bitten "pearl" which 3" Ripple Shad version has a pink rather than white reflective appearance. All 4 of my chunkies recently bit that color, including a 27" this morning before sunrise.

Back