Correct lube for mold hinges

Kdog

Recently I got an old used mold in excellent shape. The opening and closing is effortless and very, very smooth. This got me wondering as I only have 1 other mold that is really smooth. What does everyone use to lubricate their hinges on Do It molds. I've been using 3-1 oil and some old high temp die oil that we used to lubricate moving pins in die casting molds. I lube before and after every casting session.

Looking forward to your responses.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Good question. I've always used motor oil but noticed when I was pouring lead the hotter large castings molds could only take a certain amount of pours before the oil would smoke and scorch. I considered it a warning to let the mold rest & not continue to warp stage.

I put a drop or 2 into the pin holes AFTER every pour session since the heat facilitates capillary distribution.

hookup

I use whatever's on the shelf. Now I'm using oil made for pneumatic tools.

Airstreamfield

I use WD-40 too. My do it molds never have needed lube but my hilts get sticky occasionally. The only thing I would watch out for is WD-40 is flammable so I do it before I heat up my pot and start working. Not like it's likely to catch or anything I just like to be safe like that, it's bad enough I always walk away from my bench with small lead burns on my arms.

hookup

Sorry Airstream, the nerd in me's coming out

WD-40's not a lube, its a solvent.

Carry one.

Kdog

probably the best I've found thus far is jojoba oil. Not the personal lubricant kind but an industrial version. It has great properties and is environmentally safe.

Back