Corona Time - Panfish

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since I am part owner of a small retail and print shop that mainly works with schools..... I've had a lot of time on my hands with the current Covid shutdown of schools and pretty much all retail biz. Only working a couple days a week to keep up with the slow days and been fishing on off days. Hard to keep my days straight.

Fished Tuesday and had a tough day. One nice big pumpkinseed about 3 casts in and no bites for a couple hours. Ended up fishing 3 different upgrounds. Last res I tried I ended up catching a bunch of 6.5" and 7" bluegill to at least make half a meals worth to bring home.

e7b204c5f49652414038a16d49ddd988.jpg

29a1f88d4c38d24ff3cf0a1330d38590.jpg

Got back out Thursday morning bright and early. Air temp was cool in the morning and cloudy. As soon as the sun popped out I found a good school of crappie! Caught them mainly on a tungsten jig with a hackle feather tied on and tipped with maggots. Pretty much all the fish were out as far as I could cast but only 2' down under a float. When I found the school, it was every cast. 29 fish for the day.

6fe58848c3dcffca4a636f9ec70fe983.jpg

044f3a004b69d8d8437360531732eeff.jpg

Went this morning to clean the shop basement in case the Sandusky came up any farther and tried to flood us. Got out to the reservoir at about 1:00 in 40mph winds and walked to the upwind side. Tried out deeper and no bites. Finally tried up near shore and found an excellent mix of panfish with a bonus 12" perch. 3 perch in total and a mix of bluegill and crappie to fill out my total (23) for the day. Guess I'm getting good at my 2nd job.

73ed4f33a19409705409c5663dfa9a85.jpg

c5a4b5d0daeabba952a654e3bae30349.jpg

f8e26a2c64c3747b0b73bd0abfeb1adf.jpg

Even caught a few racing stripe crappie!

8340950b4c7a847dbb9fbfa2ed94f875.jpg

I think Candy approves of my new 2nd job. She is the cleanup crew for all the scrap pieces of fish.

d045a00309c986aca5c65fcf4830b671.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Dang, thats a lot of cleaning ! Price of having fun.

Dandy perch.

Looks like you found clean water, & the weather could be worse...

Where's the kitties ?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The cleaning is just part of the job and honestly I don't mind it all that much. I put some tunes on the wireless speaker, grab a couple beers and hope I don't cut myself too many times. [emoji16] I normally put quite a bit of panfish in the freezer from ice fishing but couldn't get out like normal with the warm winter.

Weather has been cool, barely breaking 50 degrees most days. Still wearing a couple layers and my insulated carhart bibs to stay warm in the wind. This particular reservoir is pretty shallow so warms up a little quicker and usually stays nice and clear.

Our governor just announced they are pushing back school another month so not really sure what is going to happen with my business that's main income depends on schools and youth sports. My time off may be short lived and I may be looking for some extra income. This shutdown is really hurting small business in our country.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah..... we are down to only one cat now. Gave away all the kittens we had and settled with just one female wirh a really mellow attitude. Even got her fixed and shots. She is indoor/outdoor. No litter in the house so I am fine with it for now. But it is so spoiled, it doesn't even eat fish scraps. Crazy cat.

duffy

Looks like surfs up dude.  :D Nice mess-o-fish you have there. I notice you use a regular fillet knife but have you ever used a electric knife to fillet with? A couple of old timers here used them when they would catch 5 gallons of perch and did a good job real quick.  I tried it and ended up with fish burger and mutilated more meat than I caught. Just curious  if anyone else had luck with that method.

plunc

Great pile of specks!

duffy said:
Just curious  if anyone else had luck with that method.

Ya, I used electric knifes for years specifically for cleaning perch. Does it do as precise of a job as a regular (sharp) knife? No.  But with that said, It does a "good-enough" job & does so a bit quicker, IMO. I dont like electrics for cleaning all types of fish, but for a bucket of perch, crappie, white bass, Ill take the electric everytime.

drdore

You need to drink only Corona beer, just in case it might be a cure or a good preventative.

toadfrog

Any fish would look great to me . Haven't even caught a cold . The weather here just won't settle down . 35 and 40 mile an hour winds 36 degrees today . Probably do one of those hillbilly jig dances if I got those.

Back