Coon tail flies

New River Rat

I saw a coon today (roadkill) and it had me wondering if anyone has ever used coon tail in their flies? The coon tail has a pretty nice barre to it.

Also, same thing for mink? I see them all the time and was wondering if anyone used those.

I got me a big ol' fox squirrel tail today............:cool:

Fatman

I've used fur off the coon face and yes I've used mink. If you take the tails makesure to wash them well in warm water with dawn dish washing detergent rinse well and for me I cover them with borax to thoroughly dry. I keep them away from my regular materials even after curing to make sure there's no little critters - don't want any bug infestations.

This is a soft tanned mink cut cross-cut zonker strip and wrapped over mallard
100_3978.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Coon tail is bushy and fuzzy - makes nice fat ties and nice color right off the tail. Good stuff.

Oh yes..... you are in deep when you start drooling over roadkill. I got smacked hard by the lady in the passenger seat this weekend as i slowed down when i saw a fresh fox on side of the road. Said 'don't even think about it' in a rather scary, growly voice.

Jig Man

I used to pick critters up off the road and sell em when the market was good. Now Jigs, time does change!

StumpHunter

I keep a road kill kit in my truck all the time. The wife tells me if I ever get pulled over and if they look in my truck and see that road kill kit they would think I'm a mass murderer :D

New River Rat

StumpHunter said:
I keep a road kill kit in my truck all the time. The wife tells me if I ever get pulled over and if they look in my truck and see that road kill kit they would think I'm a mass murderer :D

I like that, a hardcore tinkerer.:D

Back