Conversion Chart Q

Jay Wirth

Is there a chart or site that would list compatible hooks? Lets say I have a mold that uses Mustad 32759 jig hook. I would like to try Mustad in a sickle style with a comparable wire size and jig eye (size/bend). OR I have the same Mustad hook but would like to try something from another manufacturer???

Hawnjigs

KISS
The bronze Mustad 32756 equivelant would be Matzuo Sickle 149020. Supposed to be interchangeable size for size, but Sickles are rather infamous for too long/short eye legs and the slightly shorter shank might be a fit issue in some molds.

Not sure what you mean by Mustad Sickle cuz I think Matzuo may have a patent or at least a trademark on the Sickle design.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I think between several of the members here....... they hold all that knowledge in their heads from years of trial/error. If you ask, bet one of them (like the above post) has tried it or can try it hands on. Don't know that i have ever seen it written down anywhere as a cross reference document, but guessing it would be very useful if it could be put together.

Jay Wirth

Hawn, your right about the sickle jigs. I was flipping through a Barlows catalog and these were on the same page - hense my confusion that triggered the thought. The chart would be helpful in highlighting compatable bend and wire sizes but very time consuming to complete. It could also provide alternatives for discontinued hooks like the Mustad 3399(?) (gold hook).

Hawnjigs

KISS
Barlows indeed has well organized jig hook listings, except the "standard & light wire" page mistakenly includes Gamakatsu 2554 and Mustad 32833, and excludes Owner which they don't carry.
EDIT: Light wire Owner 5318, Gamakatsu 111 & 114, Mustad 32831 are all inappropriately listed in the Heavy Duty 90* section.

Was the disco M 3399x gold a beak point jig hook? I saw a few that despite being old school mfg. were an excellent sharp & strong hook that I would use even now.
Edit: OK, the 3399 is a fly hook. Think the beak point jig hook was an old disco Eagle Claw.

JW, are you considering switching from your current preference(s)? Mustad 32756 was my original light wire choice, but wouldn't use em now if they were free. I've been incrementally abandoning brands - Eagle Claw, Matzuo, & Mustad Classic due to deteriorating quality. No longer willing to pay the price for Gamakatsu & Owner either. Only reliable reasonable price hook left for me is Ultra Point.

Jay Wirth

Hawnjigs, initally for me it was just a thought since everyone here posts heads with the sickle style hook. For fun I would like to make some with my custom molds to see what the fuss is about. I prefer Mustad but am starting to think that they will soon be gone (or reduction in quality). I have custom molds that are 35+ years old which were all made for use with a Mustad hook.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sickles indeed appear to be the most popular crappie-panfish jig hook, on our forum anyway. Maybe, Matzuo will exert better quality control standards on their Chinese mfg. but the trend since I started using them around 10 yrs. ago had been steadily downward. Main problem besides the short/long legs for me has been twisted eyes which need to be bent back to center to allow full mold closure. Most previous Sickle batches were near perfect, or at least usable with sorting, but my last 3 batches of #2 Sickles were garbage, so good luck.

Back