Colorful discussion

dblevens

Most of the jigs I use have two different colors. Just take for example, Black/Purple. If that color is working good, you think its that color combo, or is it one of the colors that would probably work on any jig. Like maybe Chartruse/Purple on the same day. Also, if its the black, would a solid black work better than half black? Just some random thoughts I think as I'm waiting on a thump.

spotail

dblevens said:
Most of the jigs I use have two different colors. Just take for example, Black/Purple. If that color is working good, you think its that color combo, or is it one of the colors that would probably work on any jig. Like maybe Chartruse/Purple on the same day. Also, if its the black, would a solid black work better than half black? Just some random thoughts I think as I'm waiting on a thump.

Different fish species have different visual abilities. My two primary targets are smallmouth bass and steelhead. In my experience, these fish are not that selective on colors. Usually, the biggest difference in the amount of fish hooked relates to if the jig is a light color or a dark color. For example, on a certain day, dark colors (black, brown, purple) with outperform light colors (white, yellow, tan). Then the next day light colors could be better!

That being said, I think the fancy looking jigs are more for the tiers pleaure than the fish's preference. I'm more concerned with using materials that "flow" underwater and make the jig look alive.

I've spent a lot of time powder coating heads, applying 3d eye, and using multi colors to imitate baitfish, but basic single color jigs with no eyes often catches just as many fish for me. However, I am a big fan of adding flash (e.g. crystal flash) to the tails for added attraction.

dblevens

Say I'm fishing with red/chart, and I'm missing lots of fish. You think I would benefit to switch to chart/red? If my partner is catching em on blue and white and all I got is a white/blue, think it's gonna work just as well? I try to tie a couple of each color reversed if I have the material.

StumpHunter

Colors can the difference in catching fish or not catching fish and a mix of colors seem to be something that keeps the fish interested in biting the baits. Last fall my nephew and I went camping for a week. We were fishing using one of my best colors for that lake. After 3 days of losing most of the jigs I was tying some more for the rest of the week. This jig has an orange head and while talking when I was tying I picked up a baby blue head and tied one jig. The next day he tied on the blue head jig and was catching 4 fish to my 1. Well it didn't take me long after getting back to the camper to tie 12 of the blue head jigs and we killed the fish with em that day and the rest of our time there. One little color change on a 1/16 head made all the difference in our catch. So yes I try many different color combos. Something may not work one day but my kill em the next day or work on a different lake.

Fatman

X2 with Stump. There are days when one color will work over another. I've had the same thing happen with spinners. I always try to tie at least 3 of each.

Hawnjigs

KISS
My experience with other species concurs with "spotails". Comfortable with single color light or dark fur ties with a bit of flash on single color or unpainted heads.

But, apparently crappie can be more color specific in their preferences. Must be fun to express one's creative artistry with fine detailing for best advantage.

Back