Color Choices

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I want to get started into P.Paint for SMB & LMB jigs as well as walleye jigs - the nail polish just doesn't take the abuse of banging in the rocks all that well. So.....

I want some basic colors: black, white, drk. green, drk. purple, brown and an orange color.... more of a burnt orange or rust tho.

Black (no brainer) White (ditto)
For a dark green/dark olive - Dark Watermelon? Can i mix in white to lighten it up if need be?
For a dark brown - Should i stick with Pumpkin Brown or is copperhead a brown hue?
For purple - Candy Purple looks like about the only choice
For burnt orange/rust - looks like i'd have to mix blaze orange with something? Orange/black? Orange/brown?

Last Q: I see there are some clear topcoats with mixes of glitter. I would want green, red, gold and black to make a pepper look. Am i better of just getting a jar of clear and mixing my own.

Rookie questions - can see this will be an investment to get started how i want to and just want to get it right the first time. :)

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Can't offer much help on your bass colors. But I do like junebug for he purple. If u want it darker you can dip it 2 or 3 times. And I would think the b pumpkin over copperhead for bass. And yes you will come out ahead mixing your own glitter!

CrappieHappy

you can mix yellow and black to get an olive... im not sure if you have a harbor freight local to you. but they offer white, black, red, yellow for about 5 bucks a pound. I usually put some in a small zippie and squish it really good before putting it into a container.... you can mix red and yellow to get orange.. Mixing is Rad's forte' so i am certain he will jump in....

Pup

Ditto CH's mention of Harbor Freight.

As a fellow river bassman, I suggest the purchase of all four colors (red, black, white, and yellow) of Harbor Freight powder paint. You'll be able to mix some very useful color combinations with these.

It comes in one-pound containers. As a hobbiest, you shouldn't run out of it for years.

So far, I've produced some useful colors from this paint. Included are:
  • Gray
  • Soft pink
  • Plum brown/rum raisin
  • Burnt orange
  • Green pumpkin
  • Brown
  • Salmon
  • Light/pale yellow

I see that this paint is on sale today for $3.99/lb. :cool: :jig:s!

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=powder+paint

Radtexan

Good advice from all...Russ,my recommendation would be to start with the primary colors and learn to mix to achieve the exact color you want...Adding some clear PP and glitters to your collection you can make just about anything you want with very few colors..

Couple mixing charts..

To Make: Mix:
Aqua: Add a small amount of Blue to Green
Coral : Add a small amount of Yellow to Pink
Dusty Rose: Add a small amount of Black to Red
Light Tan: Add a small amount of Black to Orange
Magenta : Add a small amount of Red to Wine
Brown: Add a small amount of Blue to Orange
Moss Green: Add a small amount of Red to Green
Gray: Add a small amount of Black to White
Pink: Add a small amount of Red to White
Purple: Add a small amount of Blue to Red
Teal Green: Add a small amount of Black to Green
Wine: Add a small amount of Red to Purple
Lime: Add a small amount of Green to Yellow
Turquoise: Add a small amount of Green to Blue

colmix_Additive.gif

magicpalette-thecolorwheelcompany_nerius.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
OK - DUHHH!!!! After reading the 1st few replies, it sparked my memory that this has been discussed on here before. The Powder idea got in my head, so opened my Netcrafters book,,,,,, and started to drool over ALL the colors. :blush:

I do have some color mixing experience in printing here at work and also playing with watercolor painting. So black, white, yellow, blue and flame red would be the primary colors needed, pretty much the CMYK (on white paper) approach... but why do they have brown as a basic primary? hmmm. Will also get a clear and that puts me at 6 colors which is where i was with the 'fancy' colors and more options left on the table.

Does that mean there has to be a white base to start to get the colors to 'pop' on mid-tone and light colors? Wondering if i should get 2 jars of white....

hhawkins

Holy cow, too early for to think about mixing colors. I do have a question myself about PP. Has anybody every seen a light brn, like pumkin brn, with purple flake in it? That would be an awsome PP to use on a peanutbutter/jelly color jig. I wonder if anybody could throw something like that together.

Radtexan

Russ I dont white coat any of my colors,but bulk up on the clear....

One of my favorite's heather.. Cant give an exact formula,but Ive mixed some chart in orange,to get a pumpkin/brown..I buy my glitters at hobby lobby and they have a great purple "holo" that would do the trick..

Lost Pole

You're burnt orange can be accomplished with a blaze orange/copperhead combo. Not so much of a mixture but as a double dip. I've found that most any factory color with preexisting glitter has enough clear to act as a second top coat without accumulating too much paint.
I have tons of ideas just have to getme some clear.

hhawkins

Rad...Could I sweet talk you into mixing me up some pumpkin brown with purple flake in it? :rolleyes: :D Pretty Please! With cherries on top! :blush:

Back