Close to a redman jig clone....maybe!

redman

Doug these are things that I lived. I heard the stories told over and over. I spent my young manhood living among these giants of fishing at the time. I remember Al and Ronnie Linder sitting in Cap's livingroom being educated on fishing West Lake Okoboji. At a time when they were considered the best walleye fisherman in the U.S. They had come in empty handed two days straight and were desperate to catch walleyes and not lose face. The stories could go on for hours as I have many and want to put part of them out so they won't be lost to time. Some of the stories I won't tell as they are very private for Cap could and did mend some difference between persons and they don't need to be brought up. Some are funny like the day I came home from Cap's with Blue hands.

There were others that I had the pleasure to meet and were also Giants in the fishing world at the time. Lacy Gee, Irv Silas, Don Stone, Doc and Tom Hamilton, Ed Akers, Don Wilson. Some names you might remember others are just names that will be lost to time but Believe me I did have the opportunity to walk among the Giants. Guess that you might say that I have lived a charmed life. Just hope that some of the young ones on here may have that experience.

Redman

Fatman

Thanks Redman!! Think we'd have a whole lot less trouble today if all kids had fishing like we did. My son had a few friends, whose Dad's didn't want to know about fishing, and it made it hard to take exta kids when you only had a small car. But the one boy across the street had the Erie Canal as the back of his yard, and you never wanted to see a group of kids work so hard clearing pricker bush's and trash off a bank so it was nice and clean so they could fish. Never any fights!! they were too afraid of getting booted out!!

The good ol days!!!

redman

PB That white one is way cool. You are right I like the taper. It works well with a thread neck. Man I can't wait to get my hands on some nice wool to work with. I may have to go find a sheep pen some where. Nicely done. great tie.

Redman

redear

Redman, I just backed up and read your recent posts about the history of these heads and the personalities involved, thanks for the stories, I loved reading about that stuff.

JSC

PB ... Jigs are lookin good

Redman ... You gotta write that book and maybe others could add chapters here and there.
A lot has been lost that will never be known about.

I just watched a documentery presented fy FSU on PBS ... found it while surfing TV the other night..
It was about Tarpon fishing ... Had heard of some of it but never knew a lot of these facts .. They had still and Movie pictures from 1800 into the 30s ... It was about the places and people but not what lures they may have used ... some information on the tackle, boats and lodges ... good history ....

You gonna start that book ?? :)

Fatman

I'd buy it!!!!!!! And it would need to include a big chapter on pressing molds!!!!! that is something that should not be forgotten!!!

redman

Jim and Doug You two and redear might be the only ones that would be interested in that subject. I will keep adding stories on here that are related to the subjects that are brought up. On my computer are some files that my son knows how to access and will post here. We have talked about that on his last visit. As you get older you have to start to think about the end and I know that I will not last for ever. Preparations have been made and wishes made known.

Don't get me wrong I ain't ready to check out yet. Plenty of Nice big fat slab Crappies left to catch. But I am starting to get right with the Lord. One never can be to careful. I will tell the stories as I remember them and as truthful as possible. As one get older the mind does funny things and I will not post a story until I remember it exactly like it happened so you can get the true story.

As for a book I don't think that I am capable of doing one. I did a chapter for Jim Mc Donnell " The Fishing Professor " in his Book " Explosive Fishing Techniques ". If you can find that book there is a lot of good information on Fishing in the Upper - MidWest. Many of my old fishing buddies are featured in that book. Most of them are now scouting lakes in the great beyond for us to fish. Guess that it boils down that I became the last man standing. But the Redman is still fishing and Tying jigs. Thank you guys for the kind comments.

Redman

redear

thank you Redman for all you have contributed to this subject which is alot! It was a huge windfall for me when you told us how to make a mold by pressing a blank or slug as you call it. I had wished for years that there was a way for me to make my own custom molds without having to try to convey to someone else what exactly I wanted, you made that dream come true and it has added alot to the satisfaction I get from this hobby, so again I say thank you very much!!

eyecrosser

Great history lesson. Amazing how things come full circle in this precious life we live. Met alot of walleye pros including Al Lindner at Lake Francis Case Pro-Am back in 2000. Great bunch of guys. Learned some and had loads of fun. Also learned there is alot of knowledge outside the ranks of the pros. Local knowledge beats out overall knowledge hands down in most cases. When Chase Parsons won the tournament on Milford Lake a few years back I'm guessing he picked some locals brain about trolling tactics and color selection. Unless he got real lucky figuring out that purpledescent has been the hottest color on that lake since it was 1st introduced. Asking the right people the right questions never hurts I guess. Keep the stories and history coming. Love reading and learning about the "old salts" and local knowledge/techniques.

JSC

RM -- The Older we get the more we "Check Things Out" ... :)

Lookiing for more good stories/information .. only a small portion gets carried foward ... A guy older than I am told me years ago about memory ... "that little brain can only hold so much and at some point it starts "Throwin Out" stuff it thinks you don't need".

Good to have it written down ... which I don't.

Keep Fishin-TieN - & lettin out that good info.

redman

Well I think that all of you are very kind to this old Indian. As we get older we start to think a bit more and start to get things reasoned out do to past experience . We also have a enormous amount of time that we can sit and think about things. I see many young fisherman that a 250 hp motor is not fast enough to get to some place on the lake to start fishing. They will pass up 5 or 6 places that will hold fish and tell them how the pattern will be for the day. Start slowly, fish carefully, and be confident in your ability to catch fish. Never say die and never give up. Use your head for something besides a hat rack. As Cap always told me " it's one thing to be stupid just don't work at it ".

Redman

plateboater

Headed to work and going to use in a meeting today "use your head for something besides a hat rack". I spend the entire day in meetings and try to bring a little humor every once in a while......Thanks RM

hookup

Drop a 1/0 Matzuo in that mold & you'll have the perfect wacky rig set up for bass.

Nice job!

Back