116.5 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN0558.JPG
    DSCN0558.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN0560.JPG
    DSCN0560.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 188

plateboater

Have not broke out the scale yet......Ran out of play time before the wife arrived home from work!!!

redman

Close enough for government work. Nicely done. I am surprised at all who like that little head that was built so many years ago for yellow perch on West Lake Okoboji. We tied two patterns back when I first built it. One we call the Gay Gordon, the other the Royal Gordon. That was before gay had a social meaning. They were tied with Badger hair and we would have to dye it ourselves. We would trade four dozen jigs to a local fur dealer for a Badger pelt. Cure the pelt with borax and cut it and then dye it. We would leave half the pelt natural dye the rest, yellow,red,black,and green.

The Gay Gordon was natural cream Badger with a wing of green over red. The Royal Gordon was nature cream Badger with a wing of black over yellow. We tied them as a thread neck. The thread we used was A in red and Badger is slick so you had to use a lots of tension. Most popular size was 1/24 oz. with a size 8 Aberdeen gold hook. These two pattern were named by Dr. Phillip. Pugh of Sioux City,Iowa who was a Scotsman and thought they looked like a salmon fly of some sort. The Gay Gordon was mend to represent the bluegill flat or fry that was the number one bait fish for the yellow perch in the lake. The Royal Gordon the rainbow chub fry that was the second biggest food source. Thought the you all might enjoy the history of how that head came to be from its humble beginnings.

Redman

plateboater

I am in industrial manufacturing arena. I sent out a little email to a supplier and one of his workers said sure! Die maker wanted to do it for fun and a little side cash! And yes all by hand. 7 pours are avail. He shanked the first hole but the rest are dead on. Have a lot of tools at our disposal for projects it is all about getting time for little projects like this.......

Will try to paint and pour more on Sunday. I think they are going to work well. I know the front is not exact but have not reached die maker for thoughts on additional mods to the one posted.

I was more focused on the taper and the end for specific style ties when I spoke with die maker. Who would have guess people get excited doing this......my patience are thin just tying the jigs!

redman

PB I do have a smaller mold that I did with a much rounded nose. There seems to be little difference except rate of fall. Think if I remember right I was just trying to get the weight right and not to much worried about the appearance. That is just the way it came out with a more blunt nose.

We fished them in the winter in 30 to 60 feet and they took a while to get down that far. Didn't think of using two on a line to help them get down there. Inexperience and thought at the time was very light and simple was the only way to go. Now as deep as I fish is about 8 feet most of the time even less. They work perfect for that situation today.

Guess you get to.be more lucky than good. I wouldn't worry about the profile of the head but the profile of the whole jig. If they look like a baitfish and acted like a baitfish the fish will think it's baitfish and will hit it. Pour um paint um tie um fish um.

Redman

smalljaw

The old Cap Kennedy Rock-A-Roo jigs were made on a head like that. I was wnating that style too so I did a ton of research and found a small tid bit from Doug Stange but nobody ever said what kind of head was actually used so I assume it was custom. Doug Stange of in-fisherman said what made that head so good was that the jig would fall straight down but instead of falling flat on the top of the head and flling over, it would sort of "rock" back to the edge of the head on a 45 degree angle which made it look more natural and easier to fish as you could actually stop the jig and let it on the bottom still for a couple of seconds with the hook staying upright. I found that the rocking action which makes the head so good makes it prone to wedge in areas of chunk rock, every jig will wedge in that stuff but my walleye heads have been doing better than everything else so I'm sticking with them but the redman head is a great jig to use in every other body of water so I may still get a mold made.

redman

SJ Jim Stone the man who made Cap's molds was my Mold Making Mentor. That head was a series of trial and errors. The First Rock-a-Roo heads were a bullet type which was not what Cap wanted. Jim had just moved to the Iowa Great Lakes and was remodeling his home " Twin Oaks" when Jim meets Cap. Jim had just done a the molds for the old Shannon Twin Spin. Cap ask Jim for his help in making a head that would do what Cap wanted it to do. Jim worked for over a year to come up with that head that would work for Cap. Jim had all the slugs to Cap's molds He had them in a little box that I was showed a few times.

We turned the slugs on a unimat lathe. The Small ones we turned out of Marine Brass. The ones that were 1/8 oz. or Bigger we made out of Tool Steel and tempered them to a Straw color. It was pretty crude but it worked.Then it was back in the lathe and they were brought to a high polish Cut them off and pressed them in to the mold. I was ahead of this game as I was doing watchmaking at this time in my life and had to duplicate many old pocket watch parts so to duplicate Cap's heads was no big deal.

Jim taught me to make molds, Cap taught me to tie jigs. Today I think that I am the only one that has a set of jig molds as Cap had. Before he Died Cap gave me his blessing as he said that I was the only one of his many students that had completed his course. He was a tough task master and was not afraid to yell and dress you down. He turned out to be the Grandfather that I always wished for I the Grandson he never had.

As for Doug Stange I remember Cap and I taught him to tie a loop knot to use on Cap's Rock-a-Roos after a meeting of the Iowa Great Lakes Fishing Club. Doug was the Ag teacher at the Sibley Community School. He got to be friends with Al Linder when they started In-Fisherman magazine and was brought up to Branierd , Minnesota to help promote the venture. He was one of the home town boys that made good.

Today I think that I and Crappiejgr who I have been working with and has them pretty well down are the only two that tie like Cap and Jim and can make a True Rock-a-Roo jig. Part of the trouble today is that Mustad doesn't make the hooks that Cap used for his Rock-a-Roos I still have a good supply and use them very sparingly. Redear has got the mold making down and by the pictures that he has posted he has taken it a step further than I did.

Redman

Back