Clogged Spout

Kdog

Couple days ago, I had an issue where the stream of metal from mt production IV was down to a strong drip. Nothing I tried helped so I decided it was time to clean the pot.

I use clean fluxed lead and clean an flux religiously. I do not empty my pot rather I keep it 1/2 - 3/4 full at all times.

Anyhow, after draining the pot I discovered a hook stuck around the taper on the stopper rod. Musta missed one and stirred it all the way to the bottom. Kinda suprising as hooks usually float

Since I had the pot empty I decided to really clean it, put a SS wire brush on my die grinder and gave the inside a real cleaning and polishing, Cleaned the spout with a small brush on my dremel. Polished the valve rod by chucking in drill press and polishing with emery cloth. Gonna lap the rod in place and hope I get the proper alignment with the seat.

All clean and purty again, almost hate to put lead in it. (not really)

Its been 3 years since the pot was empty so a real cleaning was probably overdue but one I dumped the lead out, there was very little to clean other than some corrosion on the walls and the valve rod shows some wear that makes me think maybe a new valve rod is in order. For a furnace that was bought new in 1978, I am very happy with it. The occasional drip which usually can be solved by rotating the valve rod is annoying but other than that, no complaints.

Posting this because I am willing to bet I am not the only one that salvages bad jigs by remelting. I used to have a piece of wire to hang the jigs by the hook but must of thrown it out during a cleaning frenzy. Think I'm gonna bend a new one tonight.

Bucko

I keep thinking about taking mine apart and doing a good clean. It's only years 4 years old but I put over 700 pounds through it last year alone. It's looking older than it really it's and the dripping it's annoying as hell. Spinning the rod takes care of it for a bit but it gets old.

Kdog

Bucko said:
I keep thinking about taking mine apart and doing a good clean. It's only years 4 years old but I put over 700 pounds through it last year alone. It's looking older than it really it's and the dripping it's annoying as hell. Spinning the rod takes care of it for a bit but it gets old.

I'll let you know how the lapping works. I have pulled the rod a few times and polished but that has been short term. I know the seal in the valve looked a bit rough so maybe lapping will be more than short term.

LedHed

Sponsor
Have had the sinking hook before - loaned the pot to a friend...... I keep the pot full and am on the 3rd IV after 25 years of pouring - too lazy to clean and have a few laying around from trades & flea bay lots.
Just be careful when you are stirring up all the lead dust!!!

Kdog

Update on cleaning and results.

During the cleaning process, could not get the spout clean to my liking so did some research and found a way to dissolve solder (50:50 mix or muriatic acid and Hydrogen peroxide) Mixed a little bit of the concotion and put some clay over the spout and filled the spout and valve area and let it set overnight. Yuck!, Did a repeat and still kinda nasty but nothing close to first time. Third time hardly any discoloration. Rinsed well with a mix of ammonia and water to nuetralize the acid. Squirted some WD-40 to dewet the valve area then lapped the valve rod into place.

I used permatex valve lapping compound because I had it on the shelf. I did the lapping by chucking the valve in a reversible drill and 10-15 seconds then change direction, repeated several times until I had a nice clean clearly defined seat. Cleaned the excess compound with mineral spirits followed by soap and water which was followed by WD-40. Checked with a Q tip to make sure all was clean.

Anyhow, Last night, I fired lil drippy up after a thorough cleaning, Lapping of seat etc etc. AMAZING filled pot and never a drip. Cast 100 1/100 oz ball heads and no drips, wooohoooo maybe I'm on to something. Not sure if the cleaning or lapping or both were what worked but I cannot remember this pot not dripping after a couple hours of heat.

Fired pot up this AM just to see, and after 2 hours, no drips........

hookup

Wow - sounds like work. I'll remember this thread if I ever get motivated to clean or have the dripping problem.

I've never done much to mine, but before putting it away, after it cools, I spray down the spout & all the exposed surfaces that lead touches with silicone spray. I got a free lead pot that a buddy left outside one day in the rain & rusted everything. Removed all the plunger parts, & use it to melt dirty lead down into muffin size pieces.

To prevent drips, after a good stirring of the melted lead, run a piece of wire a little smaller than the diameter (found a paper clip that works) through the lead spout, then twisting the plunger seems to work well. Usually some POS floats to the top after the stirring that causes the drips.

Kdog

Actual work including taking apart and reassembling was less than an hour. soak time etc do not really count. It had gotten to the point where the paper clip and tiwsiting of the rod did not make much difference.

The rusty pot could probably be easily cleaned with the muriatic acid hydrogen peroxide solution or even muriatic acid/ water usally 10% muriatic 90% water does a wonderful job derusting iron and steel. more acid will make a more aggressive cleaner. Then rinse with ammonia and water to nuetralize the acid.

hookup

The rusty pot could probably be easily cleaned with the muriatic acid hydrogen peroxide solution or even muriatic acid/ water usally 10% muriatic 90% water does a wonderful job derusting iron and steel. more acid will make a more aggressive cleaner. Then rinse with ammonia and water to nuetralize the acid.

Thx. I'll remember that when the weather warms.

hookup

This thread jinxed me.

Got the lead pot out, heated it up, and it was dripping. Did my usually clean out with a stirring, paper clip & twisting the rod and that fix it, but I couldn't get a clean pour. Lead would shoot off at a 45d. Cleaned again, and the lead shot off the other side at a 45d.

Got the pot empty and man, is there a bunch of crap down there. I'll be dremeling & cleaning & shining to get the pot back working again.

Thx Dog for the timely post.

Kdog

Hookup, welcome...
If you have the right brushes its pretty easy. But be careful. several years ago, I tried opening up a spout with a drill (thanks to internet info) I ruined a good pot that with proper cleaning would have been just fine. I have some very small cup brushes with a 6" stem SS wire that I got from work years ago. We had them made for a project where we had to deburr a series of interconnecting holes

Best I found was the muriatic and peroxide but not sure if that did as much as lapping. For cleaning the spout I have some small wire brushes smaller than any brass gun cleaning brush But I also used a small dental pick and scraped a lot of corrosion from inside the spout.

The other option is to buy a new pot and replace your pot. The pot itseld direct from lee is not very expensive.

hookup

Ended up having to buy a new pot. Took the pot section out and rust was everywhere so bit the bullet & ordered one.

Now I have two pots with no plungers to melt & clean lead

txmedic033

I finally broke down and bought the RCBS Pro Melt a few months back. I have poured about 100 lbs of lead through it so far and have not seen it leak a drop. I wish I would've bought it first.

hookup

After I got the electric melter, I went to Lee's website & found a pot for my old melter. Since it was only $8, ordered it and will put the new one on the shelf as a back up.

Wish I would have figured this earlier, but having a back up is never a bad plan.

hookup

Got the parts - really like the new pot - the spout is bolted onto the pot & it appears to have a larger hole for pouring.

Pot's together & ready for buiz again.

Back