Clear Coat Advice

baitmaster

Looking for some advice on a quick dry finish for jigs. Most of my jigs are thread wrapped hard bodies. My usual coating is Wet and Wild clear, but with 3 coats they smell like my wifes manicure box for a few days. I usually try to finish all my ties by Wed. for a Saturday trip to avoid smelly jigs on the boat. Once and a while I want to tie a jig at the last minute, but don't because the clear won't have time to cure enough to stop smelling. Any suggestions on a clear coat that cures overnight and does not give off an odor?

Fatman

Try 5 minute epoxy, but don't mix more than you'll use. Even Devcon 2T takes about 24 hours, I've read here on the boards some have tried Gorilla Glue epoxy.

Pup

DecoArt Triple Thick Gloss Glaze. Can brush on or dip. Brush on to eliminate all air bubbles for photos. Otherwise, just dip to cover for fishing purposes.

No odor and dries overnight.

Jigtier

Best I have found is called Hard As Hull. Fast drying, no lingering odor. I can't smell an odor when I'm using it, but maybe I'm just used to it. I buy it from "Hareline Dubbin" I've always been leary of water based products. I don't use them. They may work I can't say. I used to use component systems clear coat, but their products interact with soft plastics and that means trouble. Powder Paint thats the way to go.

goodtimesfishing

Jigtier said:
Best I have found is called Hard As Hull. Fast drying, no lingering odor. I can't smell an odor when I'm using it, but maybe I'm just used to it. I buy it from "Hareline Dubbin" I've always been leary of water based products. I don't use them. They may work I can't say. I used to use component systems clear coat, but their products interact with soft plastics and that means trouble. Powder Paint thats the way to go.

I use hard as hull and it is very strong smelling when wet, but can't smell it once it has cured. Great stuff, however it seems to thicken up over time. Mine is getting a bit too thick and should get a new bottle. Great stuff though!

blt

Minwax polyurethane, brush a thin coat on, sometimes 2. Works great, and very cost effective. The type I use comes in a bluish green label. Use it for my teaser threads also and the stuff doesn't brown over time.

Fatman

Goodfishing - If you're going to throw it away at least try this - get some nail polish remover and put a little bit in your Hard as hull, let it sit then try shaking it. It should loosen it up for more use.

smalljaw

If you can wait overnight the Devcon 2T 30 minute is the best I ever used. I've done spinnerbait bodies that I've had for 2 years with no yellowing. I have done jigs at 4pm and had them in my box at 6am and in the water at 7am and it was fine but I like to have at least 18 hours but that is just what I feel comfortable with, for my own stuff I will use in 12 for other peoples stuff I wait a day.

cadman

I too like Devcon 2 Ton (D2T) nothing stronger on the market in my opinion. However like Smalljaw mentioned it takes a good day to fully harden. Recently, I've been experimenting, more and more with E-tex (Envirotex Lite). It goes on clearer than D2T however it is runny and you do have to put on multiple coats if you want the hardness of D2T. Also E-tex seems to be a little softer than D2T. I will say that D2T is my #1 choice for a clear topcoat.

Back