Cleaning Pheasant Tails

crappiecripplerjigs

I acquired a sack full of pheasant tails today and they are in need of cleaning. Anyone out there have a good solution that won't damage the feathers?

hhawkins

Have they pooped on? You can wash your feather in hot soapy water to get all the yuk off. Let them air dry. To get back the shape steam your feathers over a pot of boiling water. I had to do this to some feather that I picked up for some craft projects that I was working on at the time. Cleans up nicely!

hunter7711

You can clean them in mild soapy water. After they are dry use 20 mule team borax on the meat part. That will keep the bugs out and preserve them.

crappiecripplerjigs

Thanks. They aren't in bad shape just wasn't sure what to do about the base meaty part. Wanted to wash them good before using them to tie anything. Will get the borax and see how it goes. Will the feathers stay flat after cleaning in soapy water??

Fatman

Make sure to trim off any left over fat or meat from the tail feather base. Then as the others have said wash in warm soapy water. You can hit them on low with a hair dryer pointing from the bottom towards the tips to get any heavy water out.

Then as RonDon said lay flat and cover especially the meaty cleaned area with borax, even rub some in then cover all with borax. Leave them in a dry area and check every so often for any wet spots on the borax. If you find any use an old spoon and take if off and put some fresh borax on it after about a week or so it should be dryed out and ready to go.

I put a piece of flea collar in the bag with them. I get the BIG Zip lock bags that have handles on them (Walmart usually carries them) and seal them up. Or if you have the long tubes with rubber ends you can clip the tail feathers off and put them in there and use a smaller zip bag for just the tail pad.

Fatman

crappiecripplerjigs

Perfect. Thanks a bunch for the help. I had wondered about the storage as well. Might be able to grab a few large ziplocks bags here at work before I leave!!! SHHHHH..........

Back