cleaning hook eyes on 1/32 jigs

spotail

I have recently started powder coating some small jig heads and been having a difficult time cleaning the hook eye out. From videos online and articles I have read it is suggested to poke a piece of wire or needle through the hook eye just after dipping in the powder. When I try this procedure, the coating is already too hard and the needle will not go through the eye. I end up having to heat the needle in order to get it to poke through. I am wasting a lot of time heating the need while I'm applying the coating and want to see if there is a better way. Any tips?

Radtexan

Ive tried the needle method,but find it much faster to do them all after painting with an eye buster..
images

spotail

I bought an eye buster already but the metal piece that pokes through the eye is larger than the eye, so it does not work. Is there smaller eye busters available? I am cleaning size 6 hooks.

jjsjigs

Banned
This is somewhat of a PIA but it does work. Before you dip the jig head in the paint cool down the hook eye by dipping (just the eye) in icewater. The paint won't (shouldn't) gob up the hook eye.

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
Use a pair of hemostats or small needle nose pliers and hold the hook eye when you dip it in powder.Once you let go there is no paint at all in the eye.

spotail

water idea sounds interesting! I will have to try that. I did find a somewhat successfully way to cover the eye using forceps. I saw this on a youtube video. If that is a member video than thanks. What I have been doing is heating the jig head and quickly grasping just the eyelet with the forceps (that are not heated) than dipping.

JSC

Before Cureing them in an oven ... You can scrape the paint off of the eye .. Pointed object may be needed on some to get it out of the eye ... After you cure it it is a pain.

JSC

SaltyBuckster

The easiest way of doing this is very simple.I keep a 1/16 oz. jighead next to my paint jar.First squish the barb of the hook so it does'nt keep hanging up in the hook eye:
1. Heat the jighead,(not too hot)
2. Put the jighead hook through the eye of your painted jig.The head gives you something to grab ahold of.
3. Scrape the paint off of the jighook with your finger nail.
4. Might need another run through with the bare jig through the eye.
5.Put it down and keep going until they are all cleaned,then cure all.

Sounds like a lot of work,but takes like 4 seconds.lol.

hunter7711

I am never in a hurry and NEVER have paint in my eyes. I grib the hook just where the bend starts. The jig will be parallel. I heat the jig and put in fluid bed. If you take your time you can make the paint stop at the bottom of the eye.

baitmaster

use a set of hemostats that are smooth jawed. Clamp the hook eye in the hemo. then heat the jig head for 4-5 seconds (I use a wagner heat gun). Dip or brush drop the powder onto the head depending on the method and number of colors being used. Any paint that got on the eye should come off easy prior to curing, If the jig was not to hot WHEN the powder was applied. The biggest problem is getting the jig to hot when applying the powder. When the jig is to hot the powder will begin to cure when it is applies. Make sure your powder is not glossy prior to curing.

upnort16

Sometimes, when the powder is blocking the eye, I simply run the x-acto blade around the eye shank and scrape the powder right off, then on to curing. With the fluid bed, the problem is almost nothing.

spotail

Baitmaster- I think the overheating issue that you mentioned is my problem, since the heads are relatively small they must heat up really fast. I will try to find the happy medium between between too much and too little heat. If I was to try the brush drop technique, what type of brush do I need?

upnort16

spottail, use the inexpensive plastic handle artist's brushes, probably called a childs brush. I found they hold powder well and distribute accurately with a series of light taps and practice. Harbor freight has those brushes at 20 for 1.99.

Back