Chinese sickles?

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Anyone thats ordered sickles lately noticed the made in China sticker on them? Two orders ago only a couple boxes of red sickles were marked chinese. This order all but 2 boxes were marked made in china. Going from this sounds like they arent being made in korea any longer.?

Hawnjigs

KISS
Coupla years ago a Sickles batch came in clear plastic containers "Made in China", then switched back to Korea in paperboard boxes. It appears Matzuo has again switched to China for current new stock? I don't like the Korean quality, do the newer China ones look any better?

The best Sickles IMO were the original first edition reds, before they were available in black chrome.

toadfrog

Well here comes the BOO and Hiss . I don't use anything in any lure I make that propagates the economy of another country. Some things are not made in the U.S.A. any more, but I look to see if it is . Kerosene lanterns for instance are no longer made here to the best of my knowledge. So I would be kind of stuck if I needed one. I use Wright MCgill hooks , Mustad by request. But no other I'd like to see our economy get back to an employees market instead of an employers advantage. Keeping things at home is the only way.

fishhunter775

Future Sponsor
Matzuo has two factorys one in China the other Korea its been that way for some time now.As for the other hooks like wright Mcgill hate to tell ya but they arent made here either but Mexico.Ive been told no hooks are made here anymore,dont know for sure just hear say.

Hawnjigs

KISS
"toadfrog", I'm with you about buying American, paying more if necessary.

Years ago, I was emailing & even calling Eagle Claw/Wright & McGill in Denver with suggestions on how to improve their jig hook quality - better points, tougher wire, point angles. I figured if Ultra Point, Gamakatsu, & Owner could command premium prices for better quality so could they. Instead, Eagle Claw jig hook quality declined to the point where I no longer have any use for them.

Somehow, established multi-gen USA mfg. have lost their commitment to quality and even customer satisfaction. As examples, Rosco swivels quality IMO declined from best to worst and Reading Instruments recently blatantly ripped me off. I'll post a review about Reading in case anyone is interested in mfg. level purchasing of sinker eyelets.

toadfrog

Like Merl Haggard says I GUESS THE GOOD OLD DAYS ARE GONE FOR GOOD. Guess I better archive the 10 or 15 000 hooks I have pulled out of dusty storage for my old model lures. That way I can keep the American made flag going just a while longer. We could start putting MADE IN THE NEW WORLD under our labels. NAW! I"LL be worm dirt before that happens.

Hawnjigs

KISS
TF, how old are your vintage ECs? I remember when standard 630s were just right hard temper and sharp as any modern high tech. Somehow, W&M lost their quality control and I've gotten too soft 635 batches, a whole bunch of 635s & 413s with extended hair points, baitholders & circles that snapped in use.

Yeah, its "Hey, remember when?" time. Unlike me, some things haven't improved with age...

toadfrog

I'm going to say 21 years old , but I have very few of those styles left. maybe 3 to 500 left total.

jig-guy

Ok! I just ordered 413 EC today. I did not want to purchase them but I could not find a better hook that would fit the mold that I have. Do-It made the mold for that hook. Tryed Owners & Mustad with no luck. I could alter the mold and make the Mustad 32786 fit but it is not as long as the 413. I would love to purchase from USA but as far as I know all hooks are made out of the USA now. If anyone knows what will replase the EC 413 please let me know. I am not interested in price alone. By the time I get on a sportfishing boat for and average trip cost of at least $280.00 the price of a hook does not mean much. I sure will be angry if a 413 costs me a nice yellow tail or white sea bass:mad:.
Chinese sickles I don't know much about them I have always used Gamakatsu, Mustad & Owner hooks in my jigs.
Just my thoughts, TL.
jig-guy

JUNGLEJIM1

Unfortunately,American made hooks are now dinosaurs. I do like my sickles but would like to try some of the Gamakatsu and Owners but the price scares me. Local shop wants $4.99 for 10 gams and $19.99 for 80 Owner #4's. If someone can get me a better price than that please let me know.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
For panfish sickles are the way to go. I have noticed something with these Chinese packaged sickles. The leg to the eye is Running shorter on several sizes. I am having to go up a size on hooks on several molds. I use to pour a lot of 1/8 balls with #6 and it's not possible with this last batch!

Hawnjigs

KISS
I was hoping the Chinese Sickles were better than Koreans, so much for that. Ron Don, the last Korean white box batch of #6 BLCs I got were the correct longer leg length.

jig-guy, I've waited 15 yrs. in vain for a quality 413 substitute. Maybe you could contact Mustad like I did requesting they make an Ultra Point equivelant. The 34184 is sometimes stronger than 413, but the points are often dull. What mold are you referring to?

JJ1, the MSRP for Owner #4s is $26.25 for 90, so your local shop price isn't bad. Question is are the Owners worth 10x the price of Sickles for panfish jig applications?

jig-guy

Hay Hawnjigs,
Thanks for responding to my comments in the above post.
After I posted the OK! I went and altered my new mold. It is a Do-It model BDB-3-LA #3231 Bullet mold. I wanted to make a bullet
1 oz. jig with 5/0 hooks. This altered mold now makes jigs with The Mustad 32786 BLN and the Owner 5304 5/0 2X hooks. I can still pour the jigs with the 413 also. The Mustad and Owner hooks are not as long as the 413 but I don't care since I will be coveing the hooks with 1 or 2 squid. White Sea bass and most fish where I go will eat squid. I like the way the Mustad hook stands up out of the jig better than the Owner. I will post a fish report after I use these jigs 6 & 7 July at San Climente island California.

I will check out that other Mustad hook you mentioned. I would be willing to sharpen the hook and use it if it is stronger than the EC 413. Thanks for the information.

Are any of the sickle hooks made as strong as Mustad and Owner? The ones I saw look more like a light wire jig hook. Just asking:icon5:

Tight Lines Gang,
jig-guy

Hawnjigs

KISS
Anything that can bend out a 5/0 413 might deserve an early release!

Those Owners are pretty much top of the line, I've never used any since lower priced Ultra Points are usually reliably excellent. In the past coupla years tho, I've seen some misformed batches of Ultra Points, which brings into question the overall quality, including wire strength. Maybe, the Owners might be worth the price for your demanding applications.

The 34184 was once the strongest salt water jig hook available, but I'm not impressed with current quality.

Sickles are indeed light wire, the heavy wire 413 equivelant version is long discontinued and unavailable unless some pop up on eBay. However, temper quality on those was inferior and Matzuo made up for that by upsizing the wire.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Just got 2 sizes of BLC Sickles, #4 in plastic made in China were pretty good for Matzuo, hook eyes were all in line with right size legs, barbs were undersize with some crooked tho not terrible, decent points and wire stiffness.

But 1/0 in cardboard made in Korea half had 2 sizes over long legs, more like 3/0 length. Useless.

Back