Cheeseman Canyon, Colorado

jschmidt

Hey gang! back on the trout trail last weekend.
Cheeseman Canyon is a very tough tailwater on the South Platte river in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. but also very beautiful!

The low down:always crystal clear water and smart big boy trout.
It was the first time I took my father there, and all he kept saying was how cool it was to watch dozens of 12"-20" trout just swimming around like it was no big deal.

and now the pics...

map of the canyon
p3040049.jpg

p3040051.jpg

dads first trout of the year.
p3040052.jpg

Crawdad pattern strikes again. a very pissed off 18 brownie
p3040053edited1.jpg

Radtexan

Sweet,,,,,,,,,,sure miss Colo...

Grandparents lived outside Durango when I was younger...Spent lots of time from there to Hermosa,Silverton,Purgatory,and Delores areas...Beautiful country !!

redman

Father and son fishing trip cool. Looks like you both had a great time. I really like to eat trout. I am about 200 miles from the nearest trout waters so will have to stick with crappie. Do catch a few for the Redman the next time you make a trip to the trout stream. I know that I will enjoy it.

Redman

bombora

Sweet report JS. That looks magical country. Hey I got a onnection, one of my best mates is married to a girl from a big cattle property near Durango. They live in Syney now but spent a few years living there too. My mate, a city bloke like me, loved it. Laughed at his pics on a horse with a big cowboy hat on!!!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Great start - gonna be a really fun season with your new jigs! Are you favoring a certain size jig? What kind of rod-reel-line were you using? Using a float?

I've never been, is this section the Cheeseman Res or 11 Mile tailwater and is it officially designated "Gold Medal" ?

Also, the sign says "Cheesman" ?

jschmidt

on the rivers I have been hitting the 1/16 oz has been the ticket so far.
The Crawdad I have been tying up in olive was key for this trip. Side effect of this pattern, when moving fast, the zonker strips come together to form a tail, and the maribou tied in around jighead fans out to a very broad head.... what bait fish has a broadhead and long lean tail?? Sculpin!

rod: (wife would kill me...) 2 weeks ago I purchased a Phenix Iron Feather 722-2, no I didn't spend the $420 they are retailing for. I have been watching the forums for someone selling theirs. Found one, never used, for $280. how do I describe it... combine the bottom 3/4 of a Light/ML bass rod, with the tip of a superfine perch ice rod. it casts 1/32 well... but I think 1/16 is really the sweet spot.

reel: Plfueger Patriarch 9525. awesome reel.

line: 4 lb nanofil, I am giving nano a 2nd chance, I really disliked the issues with knots, but since I use a fluro leader 99% of the time, I wanted to try again. Uni to Uni with a little uv knot sense zero issues. but I am noticing line twist, not the kind that causes major birds nests, but the 3 feet from the leader twist up pretty good. I do really like nano in sub 35 degree weather, no iced up guides, ever. As spring come I will probably head back to Sufix 832, but we will see.

It is below Cheeseman Res. and yes it is an offcially gold medal water.

Back