Cheese State Chinook

jschmidt

Hey all from Colorado, haven't be on in some time and hope everyone is doing well. Holiday's is Tying season for me and wanted to share some of the fish I have caught.
Wife and I took a trip to Milwaukee to visit some friend... just happened to time it perfectly with the Chinook run.
Jigs:
1/8 oz marabou
Black
Black and Cha
White

hen's only.... I was broken off 4 times... I am suspect all four were bucks.
now the good stuff...

Milwaukee river
IMGP3353_zpsc426a04d.jpg

Milwaukee river... first salmon ever...swinging a black jig
IMGP3350_zpscc1fd848.jpg

Milwaukee River... best fish of the trip... 36" hen swinging a jerkbait
IMGP3365_edited-3_zpsc939443c.jpg

Milwaukee harbor... twitching a White jig
IMGP3392_zps9bbbcc6e.jpg

Pup

Great catches and pics. :cool: I miss my time in Michigan City, IN. Good salmon and steelhead fishing there too.

jschmidt

Hawnjigs said:
Wowza! No crowds! "broken off" meaning snapped or abrasion fatigued? Can you keep & eat?

I would set the hook, drag would be singing and the fish would be 50 yards down stream in a split-sec. then snap! happened with both jigs and lures. power of those fish is unreal. next time I will be upsizing my gear.
Fished a 7' ML with 16 lb braid and a 20 lb fluo leader.

I am so hard-wired for catch and release... It was later that night at dinner I realized I let like 30 lbs of quality salmon fillets swim away.

Muskygary

When those salmon come upstream they're going to die and the meat gets strong tasting. Best way to fix them is to smoke them. The silver fish out in lake Michigan are good tasting.

Pup

Some anglers soak their stream-caught adult salmon filets in milk overnight for a milder taste.

Back