Chartreuse Jigs For Bass And Panfish

Pup

Made a nice craft fur find at a local fabric store recently which inspired me to do some tying.  The fur is a fluorescent chartreuse color that seems comparable, to me, to the old Targus Foxx Fur.  I purchased a half yard of it.  It is a valuable and treasured find indeed!  A swatch of it appears below.

cB2xhae.jpg

Tied the four of these jigs on Friday and Saturday evening.  Those to the far right are tailspinners.  The one furthest right has a tandem of flicker (00) blades behind a three-way swivel.  Each jig head weighs about 1/8 of an ounce and has a number two hook.

YLBtlKw.jpg

Each jig has eyes made of fabric paint and the heads are coated with gloss glaze for protection.

Here's a nice article covering hair jig fishing with jigs like these:  Fishing with Hair Jigs in the Fall - FISH THIS PA

duffy

Nice find and good looking jigs! The store that's close to me (40mi) never seems to have the colors that I want. Mostly black, white, beige and maybe some reds.

JUNGLEJIM1

One of my favorite colors, really nice ties. I like tying a couple strands of Krinkle Mirror flash down each side of mine. Looks great in the water and been catching some big bass already this year on them including my PB Largemouth that I caught today.

Pup

Thank you for your comments LedHed, Walleyescrounger, and JungleJim1.  :)

JUNGLEJIM1 said:
Which store did you find it at? How long is the hair?

Found it at a local Jo-Ann Store.  Maximum fur length is about 2-2.5 inches.

Uncle Grump

Pup

Any chance of you posting some close-up pictures of the two far right jigs (ones w/ the blades) before you tie in the craft fur? Want to see you attached / connected things.

That is a super neat idea, and I want to use it.

Many thanks

UG

Pup

Thank you for your comments PB, UG, and HU.  :)

Uncle Grump said:
Pup

Any chance of you posting some close-up pictures of the two far right jigs (ones w/ the blades) before you tie in the craft fur? Want to see you attached / connected things.

That is a super neat idea, and I want to use it.

Many thanks

UG

UG,

It's been a whirlwind of a time for me recently which doesn't appear to be letting up.  I will try to post photos of the stages involved in tying my tail spins soon, but cannot promise when exactly.  If a short description might help, I'd like to provide the following steps.
  1. Using a pair of side cutters, snip a suitably-sized jig spinner arm into two pieces at its line tying loop on the inside of the arm.
  2. Crimp down with pliers on the open loop, left from your cut above, located on the clip end of the spinner arm.
  3. With jig held in vise, lay down a base of thread wraps of about three layers.  Stop wrapping just behind the jig collar or, if collarless, about one quarter of an inch away from the jig head.
  4. Tie on the clip end so that its crimp is off to the side of your hook shank.  The clip must open freely with no interference from the hook bend.
  5. Finish with as many thread layers as it takes to keep your crimped loop from twisting.  I tie with my vise jaws at horizontal, so my clip rests horizontally too, making it easier to tie this piece in firmly and securely.
  6. Whip finish, cut away bobbin tag, and then seal your thread layers with nail polish or cement.
  7. Lay down a thread base, just behind the jig head, on its collar or that quarter inch of collarless area.  Tie in the hair of your choice and finish the jig.
  8. Clip on a three way swivel with a couple of flicker (00) blades attached by split rings and crane/barrel swivels.  Or, a single spin blade of your choice attached by split ring to a crane/barrel swivel.

That's all there is to it.  :jig:

Back