Celebration of Life trip

hookup

Been on the road the past month and busier than a one armed paperhanger with fleas.

Two days before Leon & I would start the 17 hour drive north I get the call. My Dad's not doing good. 15 minutes later the nurse calls me saying he took his last breath. Dad's in SoCA. I'm in VA. So started hitting the phones and put the whole funeral together in 24 hours. Fortunately he was miliary and already had a plot. And when I was in CA last December, I contacted the funeral home and let him know I'd need their services. I was. back mid March to finalize everything. Getting on the plane home was sad because I knew this was probably the last time I'd see Dad alive. Since he was buried in a military cemetery, it would be three weeks until the funeral. They're very busy. Dad had altheimers and was slipping fast. To be totally honest, it was a blessing when I got the news.

So decided nothing I could do and finished getting my gear and stuff together and off we drove. At that point I called it my Celebration of life trip. And man, it was a trip. Best ever in Canada.Temps were in the 40's at night and 60s to 70s during the day. Fishing started out hot and heavy and just continues for 8 solid days.

Day 1 we got bass thumb. Day 2 we got skin coming off the thumb. A gripper or boga became a must.

Scenery was epic. God's country.

E1t6Ymy.jpg
XPxtFF8.jpg
ucEEX10.jpg

Surprisingly the bugs were tame. Well until after 2100 - but then it was time to sleep to rest for the next day

We fish these lakes for smallies, but still got some bonus fish

ipIuRpp.jpg
A9R1LPM.jpg

Released this one because it was outside the slot limit, but caught a few more and had appetizers and a nice dinner.

hookup

As for technique, find rocks and find fish. We caught them on everything we threw. Any lead thrown, I poured.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Did your camera jockey get shutter finger? How many fish didya catch? Biggest? Luck out on the weather?
Is that a walleye? Never seen one anywhere close to that dark color.

hookup

We were both camera jockeys and stopped taking most pix early in the trip.

About 20 fish per day each. Never put any on a scale - had a bunch of smallies close to 20" but were 1/4 to 1/2 inch short.

Yes, walleye. 25". Not sure of weight? This one was over the slot limit so it got to live to make more babies. We caught a few more that were within the slot limit and had appetizers one night and dinner another.

Usually if a smallie is dark, that means it's hiding out of the direct sunlight under a rock, tree or some sort of ledge. If it's light, it's been out in the sun chasing food

Here's a few of my buddies fish

uogbozw.jpg
vTfSE3a.jpg
WxxMBgh.jpg
M6ceBBu.jpg

JUNGLEJIM1

Sorry to hear about your dad. Smallies like that would put a smile on anyone's face, Thanks for taking us along on your trip.

skeetbum

Wonderful fish but bittersweet trip. Sorry about Dad. That condition is brutal. Glad that it all went smoothl, planning ahead relieved a lot of the stress.

sstansb

what great pics and location--my condolences to you and your family memories to cherish for all

Back